2G versus 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shawh, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Shawh macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I wanted to get an iPhone. I currently have T-mobile, so obviously I'm going to need to get a jailbroken one. I was wondering what Wifi speed advantages there are with 3G over 2G. That will be my primary use, aside from texting/calling. On Craigslist, 3G is a bit more expensive than 2G, so I'm reluctant to spend more money unless it is definitely worth it.

2. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Let's do some background here first. 2G is actually EDGE and is around 8-10kbps. 3G is around 50kbps or so. So obviously 3G is quicker. Also, it is a cellular network so you wouldn't use the term "WiFi" in this case.

Okay. Now the "2G" which is actually the iPhone in comparison to the 3G is a pretty big deal IMO. The 3G is much quicker and of course the speed of your connection will be greater. Now comes the 3GS; amazingly quicker. I would claim 2.5 times as fast at everything. Then of course you have the iPhone 4 which is just the s***.

Now with the new software out, iOS 4, it will not work on the iPhone. It hardly works on the 3G and is pretty darn amazing on the 3GS. I'll tell you tomorrow how it is on the iPhone 4.

IMO, I would go for at least a 3G but try to get a 3GS.

3. Shawh thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, alright. I wouldn't be using a data plan at all. I'd just be using it for the wifi. So in that sense, would the 2G and 3G iPhone be comparable? And when you mean much quicker, I'm guessing that means in every aspect: running apps, starting up, etc?

4. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

In my opinion it really is not worth buying an iPhone 4 just to use it on a tiny network and not have any data at all. You might as well wait for the new iPod touch in september...

And Edge is basically a little faster than Dial up, 3G is about the cable speeds we had 3 years ago.

Edge is about 140kbps 3G is up to 7.2Mbps.

kb = kilo bit
    Mb = mega bit

5. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I gotcha. My mistake about the data.

Yes it is noticeably quicker each generation. I honestly wouldn't even mess with the original iPhone.

The 3G was quick until I got the 3GS and now I can't believe I had the patience for it.

Can't wait for the iPhone 4!

6. prospereagle92 macrumors regular

one thing that everyone here is forgetting is that with t-mobile you can't use their 3G network with the iPhone. Only the Edge network...but i would still try and go with the 3G or 3GS due to the hardware and software limitations of the original iPhone...

7. Shawh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input everyone! I guess that means I'll probably keep my eyes open for good deals on 3G/S iPhones!

8. sammw94 macrumors newbie

if you cannot afford the 3gs or simply you want a 3g go for the 3g they are just as good as the 3gs just slower. but i have noticed on my 3g ever since i updated to ios4 i runs so smooth and fast no problems so far. i have to admit i am looking at buying a iphone 2g because i just like the look of them but do what you wnat