2g vs 1g - speakers vs. alarm

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by meanmom, Nov 25, 2008.

1. meanmom macrumors newbie

I'm buying an itouch and from what I've seen of the 2g upgrades, I don't care. The list of upgrades isn't really worth the extra $50 to me. EXCEPT, I'm interested in the speakers and need to know if these are connected to the alarm system. My daughter has a 1g itouch and the alarm is really weak. I might hear it if I was nesting on it. (No wonder she never catches her calendar alarms!)

So, I would be ever so appreciative if a 2g owner could let me know if the alarm volume on the calendar can be set so that it's louder than the 1g system.

This information may be helpful to other users and potential buyers too.

Thanks,
    Deb

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

Apple states "casual listening" for the speaker. The alarm is definitely much louder than the 1g. However, it is not as loud as the iPhone or any other cell phone. In a gist, it wakes me up in the morning - and I am quite an avid sleeper.

3. biikman macrumors regular

While I don't have a 1g to compare, I do use my 2G each morning to wake me up. it has about 25 different ones, some aren't very loud at all, but the one I use... "alarm" ..go figure lol :) is pretty loud and wakes me up no problem, and really bus my co-workers when I use it for an event and forget to not use sleep mode and it starts up again after I've left.

4. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

How can you hear an alarm on the 1G without headphones? It doesn't have a speaker.

5. biikman macrumors regular

good point, didnt even think of that!

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

You can hear an alarm on 1g without headphones. It's very mild.
    Edit: You can only hear new mail alert, alarm from the built in clock, and the power off sounds...

You cannot hear application sounds.

7. mrpalmer420 macrumors regular

mrpalmer420

You can hear the alarm on a 1G. I use it currently to notify me when a new e-mail is there.

I don't know how it comes out just that it does.

8. cakbar macrumors regular

Although you said that the upgrades on 2G aren't worth the extra $50, this part of a recent article on the main Macrumors page may be enough to make you reconsider.

"...the 2nd Generation iPod Touch had its processor quietly boosted to 532MHz. Meanwhile, the iPhone 3G, Original iPhone and 1st Generation iPod Touch run at 412MHz...."

"From Handheld Games Corp's experience, the 2nd Generation iPod touch is the fastest model "by far", followed by the iPhone 3G, iPhone and finally the 1st Generation iPod touch lagging behind (at least with respect to 3D gaming). Due to these differences, Handheld Games Corp's CEO does not recommend anyone interested in gaming to even consider buying a used 1st Generation iPod touch."

I'm a happy 1G owner, but would definitely pay the extra $50 for the additional features, along with the above performance boost, if I were buying new.

9. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

I think it has a piezoelectric speaker which can only reproduce beeps rather than music.

wikipedia article

10. meanmom thread starter macrumors newbie

Many Thanks!!

Awesome responses. Thank you! 25 different ring tones - that's going to be very nice. And I also appreciate the post about the speed enhancement. I'm not much of a gamer, but I can envision my daughter sneaking my itouch for a game (rather than her own) when we're waiting for her orthodontist appointment.

The electronic org I use now is ancient but it has an alarm I can hear, just barely, from two rooms away. It has saved me on many occasions.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Deb