2g vs 3g iphone with T-mobile? & which data plan?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by msm3921, May 4, 2009.

1. msm3921 macrumors member

Alright guys so I have a friend who is looking into getting an iphone. He just cancelled his at&t service that he had because he wasn't happy with the phone. He is looking into getting the iphone and was wondering which one was better for t-mobile. Does t-mobile have 3g service? Also which data plan have you guys found to be the best for the iphone with t-mobile? does the sidekick data plan work for it? I ask because I have a friend who has the sidekick plan and he only spends like $35 a month. The reason that he wants t-mobile is that it seems to be cheaper than the at&t iphone plan. Thanks for your help and any input on this

2. Sirobin macrumors 6502

Sirobin

No idea about the data plans, but the iPhone won't work with T-Mobile's 3G network.

3. msm3921 thread starter macrumors member

but the 2g one is able to work though isnt it? it seems like there are many people on this forum that have t-mobile

4. Sirobin macrumors 6502

Sirobin

Yeah, well either version of the iPhone will work, but you'll be limited to EDGE if you have a 3G iPhone.

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Yes, but it isn't compatible with the iPhone.
    I use the T-mobile web for $6.99, but it isn't offered anymore. Here are the prices for all the other data plan.
    No because Sidekicks use their own danger servers for data, so it isn't compatible with the iPhone (I know this, I used to have a sidekick, and had to change my plan).

6. ennui84 macrumors newbie

ennui84

But you can use the blackberry plan if you type this in: epc.tmobile.com right?

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I'm not sure about it. It can't hurt to try it out, but I have my doubts it will work.

8. msm3921 thread starter macrumors member

if he wanted to could he just get one of those plans and then not pay for any minutes? or do they make you purchase the minutes as well?

9. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

10. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

Yes, I have a blackberry plan and use epc.tmobile.com and it works perfectly.

They have unlimited data only packages for $39. Voice is an additional .20/min if used. You also get unlimited HotSpot access on the Total Internet plan, which is a bonus over the Blackberry equivalent. Also, text is not included.