2G vs 3G Signal Strength and Voice Quality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RJ17, Feb 23, 2009.

1. RJ17 macrumors regular

This is a question for people who have switched from a 2G to a 3G. I was wondering if the voice quality and the signal strength got better when you switched to the 3G? I currently have a 2G but am frustrated by the number of dropped calls or calls where everything is staticy even though I am in an area with great service. I am also frustrated witht the times where I will have 5 bars and then all the sudden nothing. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. teiresias macrumors regular

I'd like to know this too. I just moved into a new apartment and get pretty much no reception at all in the apartment on my Edge-only iPhone. I'm wondering whether the 3G may be better, but I can't test that until I find someone I know with a 3G iPhone to come to my place. I'm guessing it probably won't be since they all probably come from the same towers so you'd have the same holes in coverage, but I don't know enough about the tech.

I'm currently plugging my evening telephone coverage hole by using a Skype number and forwarding all of my cell calls to that, but that's not really a preferable solution (though it does cost less than getting landline service).

3. Pared macrumors 65816

I still get dropped calls with 3G but the voice quality is better.

To be completely honest, IMO it really depends on the area you are in.

4. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

I haven't noticed much on signal strength I guess, since I am in NY and went from EDGE with the original to now 3G. The original did also have an aluminum back which I have read can hinder the signal strength versus a plastic back. With that said, I seemed to get dropped calls on occasion and rarely drop calls with my current iPhone 3G. The difference I mainly see with 3G is the faster data speeds. :)

5. KarmaRocket macrumors member

KarmaRocket

it depends on the area.

I am noticing that AT&T is starting to convert some of their 3G towers to 800 MHz. rather than 1900 MHz. 800 offers better building penetration.

from what I've read, 3G is supposed to offer better voice quality and reception. However, that all depends on what area you are in and what frequency is used.

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

This is not true. Don't ask me why but the service I got at work on my first gen was complete crap to nil and after I got my 3G it's at least three bars at all times.

7. Xtgirl macrumors regular

I have noticed a very noticeable improvement in my cell reception....who knows if it has to do with upgrading towers, but I get much better reception inside my work building...before none.

I drop calls less and trouble spots with my old 2G are much better now that I have the new 3G phone. I still think AT+T stinks compared to Verizon, but I am significantly happier with the reception since my switch to the 3G... in DC.

8. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

As some people say, it does depend on your area.
    I do notice a big improvement with signal strength with my 3G. When I used to get 1-2 bars at my house with my 2G, now I get 4-5 with 3G.
    However of course I do drop dome calls and tower switching is a pain. Like I know I'm in an area with 3G, and it will stick me on EDGE. But overall for me in NH (except for some darn spots) 3G hasn't been too bad.
    Now I'm just waiting for Verizon to pull through! :D jk