2g vs. 3g?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MacMane, Jun 21, 2009.

1. MacMane macrumors regular

quick dumb question... whats the difference between the 2g iphone and the iphone 3g? i have a iphone 3g i think fw 2.2 BB 2.28.00. i know the original iphone has the grey back, i have an 8g iphone with a black plastic back which i believe to be an iphone 3g. Its already Jailbroken and unlocked. i really WANT 3.0 for the landscape texting. right now im just waiting on ultrasn0w so i can keep my unlock status but ive seen threads saying that redsn0w can unlock 2g iphones but not 3g phones so im a bit confused.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

2g does not have a 3g chip or gps

it wont be able to mms either

3. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Also the 3G has a louder speaker and flushed headphone jack (can use any 3.5mm headphones).

4. AppleMark macrumors 6502a

AppleMark

Not forgetting that the screen on the 2g is not as good as the 3g. My 2g is nowhere as good as the 3g's I have compared to.

3g is warmer with more colours and the 2g a little bluish and washed out in comparison.

5. MacMane thread starter macrumors regular

how do i know which one i have tho? im pretty sure i have a 3.5mm headphone jack because thats what i use to connect my iphone to my cd deck. i have a "maps" app which i guess is what you mean by gps. i dont know if it has a 3g chip in it because its unlocked for tmobile so i dont get 3g anyways. is there any other solid way to tell if its a 2g or 3g? like a serial number or something in the settings?

6. MacMane thread starter macrumors regular

either way, since i have a 2.28.00 BB, can i just download a custom 3.0 FW file that won't update my BB and the phone will still be unlocked and running 3.0?

7. iMouse macrumors regular

iPhone 1st Gen (2G) left
    iPhone 2nd Gen (3G) right

Hope this helps! :D

Attached Files:

8. eshiku macrumors member

i have both the 2g and 3G, and i feel like that the 3g is fastter than then 2g in opening up app

9. MacMane thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks thats exactly what I needed to know. Preciate it.