(2gb+2gb)+(4gb+4gb)=12gb?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Hubris, May 8, 2011.

1. Hubris macrumors newbie

I've been trying to get a quick and simple answer to this question, but google is failing me.

If I buy the top end 27" 2011 imac, and put in 4gbx2 RAM (DDR3 So-DIMM 1333Mhz) will my machine then be functioning with 12gb of RAM? I believe so, but there's a lot of sound and fury around this question.

Example of RAM that I would like to buy: RAM

arigato gozaimasu!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It will work. You want 1333MHz RAM instead though (that is what the iMac comes with).

3. Hubris thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh yea, knew I needed the 1333 Mhz but linked the wrong one. Thanks for the quick reply!

4. EEXOOO macrumors regular

You can. That is what I did with my Mid 2010 iMac 27.

5. Dresevski macrumors 6502

I too thought that there might be some issues due to the non-symmetry but it's not a big deal. Install them the same way the come from the factory, should seem obvious but some idiot pulled them all out and reinstalled wrong (causing problems).

Also, I read that there might be some increase in performance by putting the 4GB in the first slots but I find that hard to believe.

6. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

That's exactly what I have in my iMac and works perfectly. I bought Corsair RAM at 45 dollars a stick at a local computer store, which was a few dollars cheaper than having it shipped from newegg or any other online store.

7. DJHack macrumors regular

Sorry if this is a silly question, but if I have 2x4Gb RAM can I simply add one more stick (4Gb) to get 12Gb or do I need to fill all 4 slots by putting 2x2Gb in?.

I've never upgraded RAM myself before.:confused:

Thanks for educating :D
    dJ

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can but see this.

9. Dresevski macrumors 6502

You can do it. There is a link in this forum right now, in one of the many other RAM discussions, to the Apple support page describing how you don't need to put it in in pairs. If you're adding a 4GB why not just add one more for $45!?!?

10. DJHack macrumors regular

Thanks Dresevski :)... I will have a mooch around the other conversations.

I think I will just go for 2x4GB anyway but just want clear as to whether it was acceptable to leave a single slot empty

As you say, RAM s so reasonably priced these days