2GB Data Plan...Is It Enough

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by antnie, Jul 29, 2010.

1. antnie macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. I am getting an iPhone 4 in about a week. I am new to AT&T. But what I really need help on is this, is the 2 GB Data Plan enough data? Because it doesn't seem like alot to me.

My primary uses of the phone over 3g would be:
    Checking email ( Every hour)
    Web Browsing( Lets say 15 minutes a day over 3g)
    Youtube ( Lets say 1 -2 videos a day over 3g)
    Maps (once every week)

I have WiFi at home so that is the primary place my Iphone will be used.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

you wouldnt come even close to 2GB with that usage

3. 1 Cor. 15:26 macrumors member

In the month Ive had my iPhone 4 I have sent 101 MB
    And recieve 1.6GB.

So, I would be ok if I had a 2GB plan, but I have unlimited from a previous iPhone.

I think since you have WIFI at home, which I do as well, and I have similiar usage needs as you, you should be fine. I also heavily use Pandora vai 3G, and I still dont break 2Gb because of my WIFI.

Seeing as 2Gb is really your only option (aside from going lower) as a new contract, I suggest during your first month being more cautious with your usage. Remember what you did to reach that usage. Then when the first bill comes recall what you used the phone for, and go online and review what your usage was. If you used what you would normally in a month, and youre significantly under your limit, continue down that path. :)

4. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

2gb is completely doable. I was being completely wasteful my 1st billing cycle to get a feel for how much I can go thru and I hit 2.3gb, so it's totally ok with the 2gb plan. Thank god, I was able to get the unlimited, when I could

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yeah, is manageable, specially if you are sometime around wifi (like home or office) I usually use somewhere around 300MB and I used my phone quite a lot.

You can use the 2GB plan for 2 or 3 months and see your usage, them change to the 200MB if you see you are within range. it will only cost you additional $10 a month (so $20 or $30 for those 2 or 3 months just to make sure you are cover)

6. dojoman macrumors 65816

Just look at my data usage since 09. I think you're more than ok with 2GB.

[​IMG]

7. antnie thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I can get the unlimited because some one in my family has unlimited right now. So if I were to make a family plan with them I would be able to get unlimited right?

Also I think I under estimated my usage over 3g.
    I have an itouch right now and I use it alot!!!

So do you guys thinks it is safer to just go with a unlimited family plan? But then if I do that my bill will get more expensive. Right??

8. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I dont think you can get unlimited if you're not grandfathered in

9. dave420 macrumors 65816

As others have said your usage shouldn't be a problem with a 2 GB cap. If you start video calling over 3G or streaming lots of video outside of youtube you may run into a problem. I would recommend you keep your eye on it and make sure you use WiFi more if you approach the limit.

10. dave420 macrumors 65816

If you have the option go for it. It is only $5 more per month. If you ever go over 2GB it would be cheaper. I hit 2.7 GB my first month and I was surprised. I had never used over 400MB on my 2G iPhone before.

11. antnie thread starter macrumors newbie

I am going to ask someone at AT&T and see if I can get the family plan unlimited since someone in my family already has unlimited.

12. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

No you can't, I got a family plan with 4 iphones, i got 2 lines with unlimited, but the last iphone i got couldn't add the unlimited (since that line didn't have it before)

13. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

You have more than enough based on what you do. For now that is...

14. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Nice fear-mongering w/ the selective copy-n-paste job...

per Gizmodo:

So even while you may have transfers listed during the day and then
    these transfers at night, your iPhone is not really uploading data to the
    internet at night. Good. Nothing to see here, folks, drive through.

15. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

Same here -- wife has unlimited, and we just ordereded two ip4s (upgrade for her, new for me) for a family plan, and I'm not eligible for the unlimited, but she gets to keep hers.

16. huskerchad macrumors regular

Should be fine. If you don't want to tether, it is pretty easy to stay under 2GB--and conversely, if you do tether, it's tough to do.

17. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

As things get increasingly mobile though, this will change. Eventually there will be a wider selection of online music and video streaming, and that pretty much guarantees you'll pass the 2GB limit.

18. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You're fine. I'm on the 200MB plan and I haven't gone past my limit. Also, use push if you can. Saves you the trouble of checking email every hour.

19. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

For me, yes. I'm using a 3GS with a 1GB data plan and have used under 500mb so far with a few days left in my billing cycle. I haven't been restricting my usage at all either. This being said, I don't stream music, which would use more data (but it sounds like you don't either, so you should be fine).

20. cz9h3d macrumors member

Is there any reason to think that data usage on a 3GS would be lower than on a 4? For example, do they both require the same amount of data for websurfing, or does the 4 somehow take advantage of its higher resolution and consume more data for a higher resolution display????

21. dave420 macrumors 65816

Not necessarily, but over time as new applications and ideas are developed people's bandwidth usage will increase. The front facing camera adds a lot of possibilties. Also streaming is becoming more common.

22. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625