2GB enough memory

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by bakechad, Aug 18, 2011.

1. bakechad macrumors member

I'm a Linux guy (Windows free since 1997!)

But I still have to support the Windows machines in my household.

So I have decided to replace my 8 year old son's Windows XP machine with the new Mac Mini.

My question is: should I upgrade from the 2GB or will it be enough for him to run his current set of applications? I want the machine to be responsive. He has suffered enough using XP.

He mainly uses:

Netflix streaming
    MLB.com streaming
    Lego.com
    Audacity
    TuxMath
    TuxPaint
    LibreOffice
    probably will use Garageband with his electric guitar

2. lilsoccakid74 macrumors 6502

i would say for the 50 bucks it costs to get 8gb (just got mine this week from newegg) its a no brainer. will defiantly help the machine, anything under 4gb of ram will hold the machine back IMO. 8GB ram also increases the memory available to the HD3000, a double win for those without the 2.5 amd6630 i would think.

3. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

4. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

5. swllnvag macrumors member

Agreed with the above. I think 2gb will suffice but it's too cheap not to upgrade. Also, you have the coolest-sounding 8 year-old kid; into baseball, lego, and electric guitar? Maybe save the money you'd spend on ram and get him a stick to fend off the ladies :)

6. krburrell macrumors regular

I agree.

7. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

8. rayyu882 macrumors member

Like most have already said... I too suggest you do the upgrade, the cost and benefit it'll give you just too good to pass up.

9. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Upgrade the RAM but don't buy it from Apple. It's incredibly easy to upgrade.

10. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

11. floridonet macrumors regular

There's also a deal on Amazon for Corsair 8GB memory that includes a rebate. Can't go wrong w/ more memory!

12. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

13. bushbeat macrumors member

OS X Lion itself runs better with more memory, and your son will possibly need more 'greedy' software in the future. It is also really nice to able to run Win or Linux virtualized if needed - but Fusion, Parallels or similar takes a big bite of the ressources to run smooth. So you should install 8GB mem yourself, as several have suggested.

14. Surely Guest

Surely

Read the rebate info. The purchase had to be made in the month of July.

And yeah, there is no reason to not upgrade. I'll most likely be buying a Mini in the next couple of weeks, and ordering 8GB of RAM is a no-brainer for me.

15. blevins321 macrumors 68030

There is one from this month too. July is still posted for previous purchases.

16. Surely Guest

Surely

Oh look at that. Sorry, my bad.

17. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

you should just see how well it performs under 2, then if you see it swapping and needs more go for the 16GB upgrade, because 8GB is too common now :cool:

18. Vermifuge macrumors 6502

Vermifuge

When you are dealing with Lion needing 16GB is no joke

[​IMG]

19. gunkthruster macrumors newbie

I just got my 8GB of RAM from Crucial...the difference between 2 and 8 is amazing! For instance, I'd have Firefox and Mail open, then open Word, it would take 45 seconds. After the upgrade, 5seconds.

20. theappleguy macrumors 6502

That's disturbing. I just checked mine and I have 1GB of RAM being used by Safari for the "Reply to Topic" page with nothing else open in Safari. :rolleyes:

Apple needs to get Lion's excessive RAM usage and random crashing under control...

21. Vermifuge macrumors 6502

Vermifuge

No Kidding!

I'm really not running anything out of the ordinary with the exception of SIMBL but this was happening before I installed SIMBL. It's more likely a Safari problem but Lion should be doing a better job and memory handling. Also note the over 200GB of Virtual Memory!

Quitting Safai seems to get things under control but I'll still have over 200 GB of virtual memory in use.

22. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

16 GB is no joke though it is a bit expensive. OWC had it at $1,400 originally and dropped it recently to a little over $900 ($920 at the time of this post). I say the sweet spot (in my view anyway) would be about $500 since it costs that much for HP's laptops (although HP is exiting the hardware market soon).

Having said all that, if you can afford as much RAM as possible at any price, then go for it.

23. bakechad thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies

Thanks for all the replies. This is a great forum with such helpful people!

Last night I ordered the Mac Mini from B&H Photo Supply and an 8GB memory kit from Amazon.

Chad

24. Surely Guest

Surely

I was going to ask you why you ordered the Mini from B&H instead of Amazon, but I see that B&H throws in a free copy of Parallels with your order. Very interesting......looks like I may order from B&H now. Thanks for stating where you're buying!

25. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

Chad you have to come back after you get it all setup and let us know how it is going. Congrats on your purchase! :) I love my Mac Mini setup.