Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Imbalance

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
UK
Just wondered who has taken the plunge and upgraded to 4GB in their new MBP? If you found the memory cheap somewhere (especially if its in the UK) please let us know!

I'm half tempted to upgrade as I do a lot of Photography in Lightroom/PS & also have to code in a VM... so I figure it'd probably be a worthwhile upgrade.

Emrtr4

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2006
Well all I can say is that in the US Newegg.com, OCW, and others let you get 2 2 gig modules (that means 4 gigs total) for $400 or less, as suppose to the $750 you have to give apple, which is a total joke.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
Well all I can say is that in the US Newegg.com, OCW, and others let you get 2 2 gig modules (that means 4 gigs total) for $400 or less, as suppose to the $750 you have to give apple, which is a total joke.

I believe the OWC brand kit is something like $225 :eek:

coffeegonecold

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2007
Just wondered who has taken the plunge and upgraded to 4GB in their new MBP? If you found the memory cheap somewhere (especially if its in the UK) please let us know!

I'm half tempted to upgrade as I do a lot of Photography in Lightroom/PS & also have to code in a VM... so I figure it'd probably be a worthwhile upgrade.

I'm running 4 GB on my MBP right now (upgraded it myself, way cheaper), just got the system today.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
what is the ram configuration of the 2.2GHZ, 1 and 1 right? so I would need to replace the whole set to get to 4 or yank 1 and replace with 2gb if i am down with 3gb?

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
But still it's a good point, so the 800mhz frontsidebus means you can run that fast memory, am i correct? :confused:

No, Santa Rosa doesn't even make due of the 667mhz. It doesn't support 800mhz nor would it make a difference since it doesn't use the current memory to its max extent.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
I couldn't help myself - I had to have 4GB. It's just an insane amount of memory to have in a laptop. Maybe not in a couple of years, but right now, it's insane, and I just couldn't help myself ;)

I fully intend on using every last bit!

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
I couldn't help myself - I had to have 4GB. It's just an insane amount of memory to have in a laptop. Maybe not in a couple of years, but right now, it's insane, and I just couldn't help myself ;)

I fully intend on using every last bit!

Totally agree - especially as you can upgrade it yourself so easily and cheaply!

mikesjo

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2005
Vancouver, B.C.
For those who have upgraded from 2GB --> 4GB. Notice a difference at all? :). Can the 1GB ram sticks in the current MBP be used in any other lineup of apple notebooks? Because I'd like to sell them off if I went to 4GB.

purdueboiler87

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2005
Clearwater, FL
I just installed my 4 gig from OWC this morning. It definitely helps when running Parallels. I allocate 1.5 to Parallels and the rest to OS X. It is so cheap now why not have 4 gig?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.