2GB MacBook RAM for $159 shipped!

macpastor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2006
196
0
I have used Omni Technologies in the past for my RAM and they are excellent. If you go to www.ramseeker.com, and put in the MacBook, several vendors will pop up, as will Omni. There price is $76.99 for 1 GB. Click on the price and you will be sent to their website where you process the order.

This is the best price I have found, and from my past experience, this RAM works every bit as good as the Apple RAM.
 

jkieffer72

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2003
52
0
macpastor said:
I have used Omni Technologies in the past for my RAM and they are excellent. If you go to www.ramseeker.com, and put in the MacBook, several vendors will pop up, as will Omni. There price is $76.99 for 1 GB. Click on the price and you will be sent to their website where you process the order.

This is the best price I have found, and from my past experience, this RAM works every bit as good as the Apple RAM.
I've had a positive experience with them as well on my 2GB upgrade for the Mac Book Pro.

JK
 

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
525
0
hmmm...I would get these except the only have a one year warranty. The Patriot and Gigaram sticks for $80.99 and $81.89 respectively, each with $4.99 shipping (on newegg) both come with lifetime warrantys, just a thought. Basically for 13-15 dollars more you get a lifetime warranty.
 

macpastor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2006
196
0
Maxwell Smart said:
hmmm...I would get these except the only have a one year warranty. The Patriot and Gigaram sticks for $80.99 and $81.89 respectively, each with $4.99 shipping (on newegg) both come with lifetime warrantys, just a thought. Basically for 13-15 dollars more you get a lifetime warranty.
Good only for original user and I normally sell within the first year so someone else can pick up the AppleCare if they choose.
 

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
2,710
134
Maxwell Smart said:
hmmm...I would get these except the only have a one year warranty. The Patriot and Gigaram sticks for $80.99 and $81.89 respectively, each with $4.99 shipping (on newegg) both come with lifetime warrantys, just a thought. Basically for 13-15 dollars more you get a lifetime warranty.
Has anyone ever had their RAM crap out on them? I know I've never had this happen. Lifetime warranty ofr anything is nice though. I'm still considering which one to buy.
 

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
1,484
18
Don't step into the kawoosh...
SamIchi said:
Has anyone ever had their RAM crap out on them? I know I've never had this happen. Lifetime warranty ofr anything is nice though. I'm still considering which one to buy.
Actually i have, in the iMac G5 that my parents own. I installed it and ran the hardware test CD to make sure everything was good to go, which is was. They used the computer for about a month and then i can home the weekend and started using it. I cant remeber what exatcly i was doing but not long after it stated kernel panicing on me. I ask mom and dad if that had before and they said it started a few days ago. I took one of the sticks out and re-ran the hardware test. The first test cam back fine but as soon as i put the other in and ran the test it failed.

All i had to do was send the ram back and they replaced it for me no problem.
 

dejo

Moderator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
15,981
450
The Centennial State
macpastor said:
Good only for original user and I normally sell within the first year so someone else can pick up the AppleCare if they choose.
What does AppleCare have to do with third-party RAM?
 

macpastor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2006
196
0
dejo said:
What does AppleCare have to do with third-party RAM?
Absolutely nothing...

I sell the machine within a year so I don't care if the RAM has a 1 year or lifetime warranty. Even lifetime warranty will not transfer to a new owner, it only provides warranty to the original purchaser.

I was stating that I sell within a year, so whoever buys the machine I am selling can get AppleCare if they choose on the machine (not RAM) Better to sell while a warranty can still be purchased than to sell after the 1 year and they have no options.
 

iGary

Guest
May 26, 2004
19,583
1
Randy's House
macpastor said:
Absolutely nothing...
Not quite. Apple will often refuse to proceed down a course of repair unless the issue can be replicated with only the installed Apple RAM.

I sell the machine within a year so I don't care if the RAM has a 1 year or lifetime warranty. Even lifetime warranty will not transfer to a new owner, it only provides warranty to the original purchaser.
Depends on manufacturer/reseller.
 

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
1,841
0
In your head.
SamIchi said:
Has anyone ever had their RAM crap out on them? I know I've never had this happen. Lifetime warranty ofr anything is nice though. I'm still considering which one to buy.
Yalp, even good ram eventualy goes south.

I should note that the only ram that has ever gone bad on me has been on PC work stations that get intensive use 12 hours a day.
 

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
2,710
134
Maxwell Smart said:
hmmm...I would get these except the only have a one year warranty. The Patriot and Gigaram sticks for $80.99 and $81.89 respectively, each with $4.99 shipping (on newegg) both come with lifetime warrantys, just a thought. Basically for 13-15 dollars more you get a lifetime warranty.
On the site it says it has a lifetime warranty. :confused:
I was goin to consider the other ones suggested but since they both have lifetime, I'll go with the cheaper. :D
 

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
850
54
washington dc
SamIchi said:
On the site it says it has a lifetime warranty. :confused:
I was goin to consider the other ones suggested but since they both have lifetime, I'll go with the cheaper. :D
I ordered 2 GB of the Gigaram sticks and they should be arriving today. I'll let you know how they hold up in my Macbook. I am new to macs, though. How do you test your RAM?
 

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
2,710
134
rockstarjoe said:
I ordered 2 GB of the Gigaram sticks and they should be arriving today. I'll let you know how they hold up in my Macbook. I am new to macs, though. How do you test your RAM?
I'm not really sure how to test, but if you goto, the Apple logo on the menu bar then :About This Mac:More Info:Hardware:Memory: It shows your status and speed. Just check that. If one is a dud I assume, the OS won't power up.
 

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
850
54
washington dc
SamIchi said:
I'm not really sure how to test, but if you goto, the Apple logo on the menu bar then :About This Mac:More Info:Hardware:Memory: It shows your status and speed. Just check that. If one is a dud I assume, the OS won't power up.
Ok, I received the Gigaram in the mail yesterday evening and installed it in my Macbook. The installation is actually kind of difficult, in that you really REALLY need to push the RAM in hard. Anyway, I ran memtest from memtestosx.org on it and everything checked out fine. My Macbook is very fast now, and the 2GB only cost about $160 total from newegg.com!
 

coffey7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2006
516
0
Boy that web site stinks.I can't even find memory for macbook. Plus it takes 2 minutes to load each page. I guess I do need a upgrade.
 

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
2,710
134
ferretboy said:
Boy that web site stinks.I can't even find memory for macbook. Plus it takes 2 minutes to load each page. I guess I do need a upgrade.
You talkin about newegg? I've always had slow loading with their pages.
 

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
1,572
2,987
Fury 161
Rember

rockstarjoe said:
I ordered 2 GB of the Gigaram sticks and they should be arriving today. I'll let you know how they hold up in my Macbook. I am new to macs, though. How do you test your RAM?
The best way to test your RAM seems to be Rember. It's like memtest, but graphic, and thus, easier, for us mac newbies...
 

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
2,710
134
Got My Transcend RAM today, it works, and passed all the tests in Rember. Everything is super quick now. No waiting.
 

zyuzin4

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
412
7
Eugene, OR
ordered the 2GB of Patriot from newegg. im experiencing major slow downs and spinning color wheels with my macbook at 512MB hoping this will fix it :)