2GB Of "Other" Data In iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jthomp, Feb 18, 2011.

1. jthomp macrumors regular

Let me start off by saying that this isn't my first crack at finding out what this is, but it is the first time i've posted about this myself.

I have spent hours looking for a solution and trying everyting under the sun that I have found on the googles.

I have tried deleteing all the files/folders from itunes_control. That deletes all my music, as well as the "other" data, but when I re-sync, the "other" shows back up...

I have also tried un-sycning all my apps, and deleting any garbage/leftover in the applications folder - nothing...

I've deleted useless/un-needed apps from Cydia and that doesn't make an impact at all..

I've looked for all large log files, folders, etc. I'm at my whits end... I think it has something to do with my music files, as that is the only time I saw "other" disappear. Does anyone else have anything else for me to try? I don't really want to have to restore, but that might be my only option...

2. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

this is a symptom of the jailbreak process and doesnt go away until you "unjailbreak" it. it's space reserved by cydia to accommodate jailbreak app downloads.

3. jthomp thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure I believe it's jailbreak related... When I
    delete the folder in iTunes_control, the "other" space is
    reclaimed. When I add back the music and reync it back, the mystery "other" is back...

4. mrburns05 macrumors newbie

mrburns05

California, Somewhere between LA and San Diego
    Could it be user data inside an application, i know thats what my "Other" data is, videos and photos i have save within my third party apps.

are you resyncing/ restoring from backup, or fresh clean sync without restoring?

5. AlexIamandi macrumors newbie

It can't be the jailbreak data. 2gb? Come on..
    Do a clean restore(without restoring from backup).

6. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

7. jthomp thread starter macrumors regular

I have resynced, restored from backup, and as of yesterday I did a fresh rrestore and did not restore from backup.

I did this yesterday and now I went from 2GB of other to .5GB. It's better, but i'm still not happy about it at that size.

I have already done this and that made a marginal <.01 gb change.