Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jthomp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
the 717
Let me start off by saying that this isn't my first crack at finding out what this is, but it is the first time i've posted about this myself.

I have spent hours looking for a solution and trying everyting under the sun that I have found on the googles.

I have tried deleteing all the files/folders from itunes_control. That deletes all my music, as well as the "other" data, but when I re-sync, the "other" shows back up...

I have also tried un-sycning all my apps, and deleting any garbage/leftover in the applications folder - nothing...

I've deleted useless/un-needed apps from Cydia and that doesn't make an impact at all..

I've looked for all large log files, folders, etc. I'm at my whits end... I think it has something to do with my music files, as that is the only time I saw "other" disappear. Does anyone else have anything else for me to try? I don't really want to have to restore, but that might be my only option...

oakie

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
seattle
this is a symptom of the jailbreak process and doesnt go away until you "unjailbreak" it. it's space reserved by cydia to accommodate jailbreak app downloads.

jthomp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
the 717
I'm not sure I believe it's jailbreak related... When I
delete the folder in iTunes_control, the "other" space is
reclaimed. When I add back the music and reync it back, the mystery "other" is back...

I'm not sure I believe it's jailbreak related... When I
delete the folder in iTunes_control, the "other" space is
reclaimed. When I add back the music and reync it back, the mystery "other" is back...

Could it be user data inside an application, i know thats what my "Other" data is, videos and photos i have save within my third party apps.

are you resyncing/ restoring from backup, or fresh clean sync without restoring?

AlexIamandi

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2011
It can't be the jailbreak data. 2gb? Come on..
Do a clean restore(without restoring from backup).

jthomp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
the 717
Could it be user data inside an application, i know thats what my "Other" data is, videos and photos i have save within my third party apps.

are you resyncing/ restoring from backup, or fresh clean sync without restoring?

I have resynced, restored from backup, and as of yesterday I did a fresh rrestore and did not restore from backup.

It can't be the jailbreak data. 2gb? Come on..
Do a clean restore(without restoring from backup).
I did this yesterday and now I went from 2GB of other to .5GB. It's better, but i'm still not happy about it at that size.

Clear your Safari cache in the Settings app.

I have already done this and that made a marginal <.01 gb change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.