Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnysaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
USA
I have a 17" PowerBook G4 1gHz with 1gb of ram currently installed (2x512). Technically this is the maximum ram for this computer according to Apple. I have heard I can upgrade to 2gb (2x1gb) and the reason for the limitation in the original spec was the 1gb ram stick for PowerBooks did not exist when the computer was released.

Can anyone confirm or deny if 2gb of ram will work in my PowerBook?

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
johnnysaw said:
I have a 17" PowerBook G4 1gHz with 1gb of ram currently installed (2x512). Technically this is the maximum ram for this computer according to Apple. I have heard I can upgrade to 2gb (2x1gb) and the reason for the limitation in the original spec was the 1gb ram stick for PowerBooks did not exist when the computer was released.

Can anyone confirm or deny if 2gb of ram will work in my PowerBook?

I don't see why not.

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
According the mactracker you can put in 2gb's. I'm not entirely sure if you can though. Good luck.

F

freakonguitar

this site claims you can put in 2gb http://www.memoryx.net/17powtit1g.html . I would say you shoudl be able to. Its the same frame as the powerbooks had for a few years as far as motherboards etc, and i think it would work.

just remember. you can only use Pc2700 DDR333. The DDR2 stuff and any other type will not work in your powerbook and make sure you are looking at notebook ram not desktop! :p big difference

iRez

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2004
breathe easy...only reason apple says 1gb is the max is because one gig sticks werent out back then. my cousin had the same computer running just fine on two gigs of ram.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.