2GB or 4GB Macbook RAM upgrade...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cwncool, Apr 22, 2009.

1. cwncool macrumors newbie

I have a mid-2007 white MacBook (2.16GHz) and have decided to upgrade its memory from the 1GB it currently has. From what I've found, is that this model will operate on a maximum of 3GB ram. Though price isn't really the factor, note that there is about a $25 difference between 2GB and 4GB.

Since this is the case, will I be better off upgrading to 2GB (2x1GB), or upgrading to 4GB (2x2GB), even with the knowledge that it will only support 3GB total? Will this make a difference, and would the computer operate better or worse while not utilizing all the RAM physically available (in the case of a 4GB upgrade)?

2. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

I doubt you're going to have any performance issues having 1GB of excess RAM...but have you thought about putting in a 2GB stick alongside one of your 512MB SODIMMs to make 2.5GB? This might be the cheapest route, although, it's always best to have matching SODIMMs in your computer...just something to think about.

3. fuz10n macrumors member

fuz10n

It's best to put 2 matching (exactly matching, mind you, as in buying a 4GB kit of 2 GB matching sticks) memory sticks into macbooks since their motherboard supports dual channel, and increases performance when you use it. I'd buy 2 matching 1GB sticks and upgrade to 2GB.

4. Matek macrumors 6502a

Well, the maximum you can have is 3.3 GB. The problem is that with 2 GB + 1 GB, you don't get dual channel, because you have different-size modules. The difference may be pretty slight, but as you said, the price difference is laughable - 2 x 1 GB costs $20 and 2 x 2 GB costs $38 on Newegg, so IMHO you should get the latter, you will have 3.3 GB of usable memory + dual channel support.

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

3.3Gb is all that will be recognized, even if you put the physical maximum of 4Gb in. That said, the best bang for buck would be 1x2Gb stick and 1x1Gb stick, or if you want dual channel 2x1Gb stick.

6. fuz10n macrumors member

fuz10n

I think the motherboard's maximum is determined by the slot itself. So I think you could put 2x2GB and still get the benefit of dual channel, but the motherboard will only use 3.3GB.

I'm not sure though.

7. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

Had a Black macbook. Came with 1gb. Good machine. Upgraded to 2gb cause thats what Apple said the limit was. Much better machine with 2gb.

Found out chipset was actually capable of 3gb (but flawed at 4). Went to 3gb and got slight speed increase and better battery life. Still worth the money.

Never tried 4gb as too many people had real problems there but supposedly later chip sets fixed this flaw and could go to 4 with no issues.

Have 4gb on my new MB but don't find 3 limiting on my iMAc. Find 2gb occasionally limiting on my MBA. Mileage varies ;-)

8. cwncool thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the responses guys!

I'd definitely prefer to use dual channel either way. Can anyone verify or refute this statement: that with the 2x2GB I would still get the dual channel benefit, though the computer would just use 3.3GB?

9. wallowinginfun macrumors newbie

Sorry for the necropost, but I'm looking to put 2 2GB modules in my 2 ghz black MacBook and was wondering if it would still use dual channel. Is there anyone who knows for a fact if it will work?

10. forester54 macrumors member

forester54

Why only 3.3GB? I have a late 07 white 2.0 and I have never had a problem with it. I have 4 in mine and it sees everything just fine