2GB RAM in 17" iMac G4 1.25 GHz

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RedCroissant, Nov 14, 2013.

1. RedCroissant Suspended

Hello all.

I wanted to know if my understanding of the RAM situation is correct for an iMac G4 that is available in my area.

The specs say that 1GB RAM is the max but that there are two slots(1 is a 184 pin and the other is a 200 pin slot). Will it work if I get a 1GB 184 pin DIMM module and a 1GB 200 pin SODIMM module to make 2 GB recognizable and then run Leopard on it?

Thanks for any help!

2. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Not sure

If it works it wasn't supported by apple.

I tried 1.5 and it didn't work.

3. crewkid89 macrumors regular

crewkid89

Get your mac's actual model number from system profile and head over to either everymac.com or macsales.com. They will tell you the actual RAM capacity of your Mac not just what apple said it was at the time. Just be careful, they sometimes require firmware updates to extend the ram limit.

4. micahgartman macrumors member

micahgartman

Yep—it'll work like a champ :D

Just be careful replacing the bottom housing! Correctly putting all those cables back in can be a tad tricky.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes your model iMac can accept up to 2GB of ram. Make sure it is low density.

6. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Thanks for the responses! It's not actually my Mac yet and might not be. But, if I can get this machine for a great price, then at least I'll know what I can upgrade it to and what else I'll be able to do from there.