2GB RAM reads as 1GB RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lifeprods, Mar 28, 2009.

1. lifeprods macrumors newbie

Hello mac friends,

I just added a pair of Kingston 2GB FB DIMM PC2 6400 sticks of RAM to my Mac Pro 8-core on top of the two 1GB RAM sticks that the computer came with. I was expecting a total of 6 GB of RAM but when I go to computer info it says I only have 4GB which means that the new Kingston sticks are reading as 1GB each instead of 2GB.

Is this bad memory or am I missing something?

:confused:

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It's possible that one of the sticks is not seated properly. Run Hardware Test from your system's restore disks and see if it registers the memory properly.

3. eddietr macrumors 6502a

You can also check system profiler -> memory to make sure the RAM in seated in the correct banks.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

5. lifeprods thread starter macrumors newbie

The computer is reading all four sticks as 1GB DDR2 FB-DIMM 800 MHz Status - OK

So no, they are all seated properly. But thanks. Any other ideas?

6. eddietr macrumors 6502a

I assume you moved the factory 1GB DIMM from the lower board to the upper board and then added the new ones as a pair to the lower riser?

7. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Mac Pros in any configuration require matched pairs of memory to be on the same riser. So the 2 GB sticks should be on the same board, as should the 1 GB DIMMs. Consult pages 1 and 2 of the Mac Pro memory replacement guide in PDF form here and make sure you have placed the RAM correctly.

8. lifeprods thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks JediMeister!

That was the problem. Since the stock RAM was split between the two racks I just assumed I would add the new RAM the same way. I went ahead and moved the RAM around like you said and now I have my full 6GBs.

yeah!

From Happy Mac Owner!! :D