2GB RAM Vs. 4GB RAM.... Do I need it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by firstapple, Jan 14, 2008.

1. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

OK,

I know there are tons of threads about this, but I was just wondering if you all think I should upgrade my RAM. I have a brand new 2.2GHz Black MacBook. I don't do video editing, photo editing, nor am I a gamer. At times, my RAM gets up to 70% in use, but I have never seen it higher then that. Since I am not an editor or gamer, would I notice a difference at all between the 2GB I have right now or 4GB I could get from OWC or Crucial?

I am all for speed, and just sold my MacMini, so I have some extra cash to spend. I am planning on setting up my area so that I run my macbook closed when I am at home, using an external monitor, and obviously portable when in classes. Would the RAM help me out at all, or is there something else I should spend the money on instead, like a good case and marware protector stuff? Do the blackbooks really need a marware protector?

Thanks!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I know you think you're unique but in the end it comes down to can you afford $80 for 4 GB of RAM?

I sure as heck went with it. In my opinion just get it done and not worry between 2 or 4 GB. You'll hit the hard disk a lot less often as well for a little more battery life.

3. firstapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Are you saying I will get better battery life or worse battery life? Sorry, looks a little confusing the way you posted it... Also, better for the harddrive as well?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The more RAM you have the less page outs (virtual memory on hard disk) needs to be used.

5. sndcj1 macrumors member

page outs

If you see that you have page outs, you MAY benefit from additional ram. If not, you would see no difference at all.

6. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

No, you do not need more RAM. You are not doing any intensive tasks, so you will see virtually no improvement. Save your money.

7. Matiek macrumors member

I just got 4 gigs for my MBP and I see no improvements, what so ever, just doing normal, browsing the internet, word processor type things. I haven't even seen the battery increases that I was hoping for.

The only time I do see these performs gains are when I'm rendering video or if I have about three flash videos going while I'm burning a dvd, backing up onto my external hard drive, and downloading something in itunes. Before the 4 gigs it got a bit laggy...