2GB vs 3GB memory in MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mthao00, Sep 25, 2007.

1. mthao00 macrumors member

I know, I know... maybe I'm a little obsessive in maxing out my MBP but it doesn't hurt...

Before ordering a 3GB memory kit (matched) from OWC, I was wondering how much faster or efficient the laptop will run. I've seen the benchmarks on OWC and it looks like a dramatic improvement. Probably won't see much difference in daily tasks but I'm just curious...

Just for context, I use Photoshop/Illustrator CS3 and Pro Tools LE (hopefully Logic Pro convert... haha) often. I have a 5400 rpm HD (heat/battery) and a 7200 rpm 2.5 sata attached via FW 800.

I want to do this before Leopard ships... Oh yeah, the 2GBs that's already in the MBP are going into my brother's macbook.

mT :apple:

2. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

To be honest with ya.
    Having just upgraded my Core Duo Macbook Pro from 1gb to 2gb I'v noticed a huge jump in performance. Now that I have had a while to play around it yes apps do run much quicker and I can now do more at the same time.
    But where I work in a photography studio, I have a quad Powermac G5 with 6gb of ram and there is no major speed boost in general usage.
    Unless your using all those applications you mentioned at the same time then you may notice a boost in performance.
    But I suppose if you can afford the extra memory why not? And memory these days is cheap.
    I got 2gb for my Mac at 65€

3. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

If you mpd is one of the new ones (2.2, 2.4 SR) you can get 4gb, going from 2-4 is a nice jump as just about everything is just a wee bit snappier:D

4. mthao00 thread starter macrumors member

I have the 2.33GHz C2D (late 2006) model. Still plenty powerful.

5. adamzx3 macrumors regular

adamzx3

Using Photoshop/Illustrator CS3 and Pro Tools LE you will notice a huge difference with larger files, they wont be using your scratch disk, they will be using your much faster ram. From my experience if your working with a 2mb photoshop file then you prob wont notice it as much or at all. Having a 800mb 16bit scan the difference will be huge, especially when you start adding on more layers. I can't say much about illustrator I only use it when I have to make a vector logo and dont use it much. I would imagine pro tools would take advantage of it as well, when I used the pro tools at school it would tax the computers to the max.

6. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

I have the same model as you, and I just swapped out my 2GB of ram for 2x2GB of Ram, even though I can only use around 3GB total. I do a lot of web design work which involves CS3 and Parallels, and I can notice a definite boost in performance with the extra ram. Parallels runs a lot better now and doesn't freeze my computer for 20 secs or so like it did before.

7. mthao00 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to the upgrade.

8. thegrifman macrumors regular

If you have the same revision MBP as I do which only supports up to 3GB of RAM you'll notice a drop in the startup time of apps the first time you run them after a reboot but after that everything is snappy and nothing beats having that much ram, especially if you do any virtualization.

9. Kendall015 macrumors regular

Do you have a 1GB and a 2GB, or two 2GB chips?

10. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

i threw 4GB in mine just for the heck of it, got a good deal on it.. cant really feel the difference between 2 and 4 gbs

11. thegrifman macrumors regular

1GB+2GB so I lost the dual-channel which brought the performance hit. I don't know that my revision (Rev. c) will operate with 2x2GB since it only supports up to 3GB but perhaps it'll recognize and just ignore the extra RAM, hopefully anyway :) Good luck.

12. richardson.hila macrumors member

Got the 3gb and haven't complained once. Everything is nice and speedy. Games run perfectly. I only have Photoshop CS but it runs like a dream, you won't be disappointed.

13. statikcat macrumors 6502

statikcat

You most likely will not notice as big a difference going from 2-3gb as you will from 1-2gb. If you game, or do audio as you mentioned 3gb will benefit you. It will vary depending on what load you are running in PT or what game. If anything it will help smooth out any hickups. You probably wont notice any speed in casual things like internet, web browsing. I want to put 3gb in my MBP soon :) DDR2 ram is getting sooo cheap.

14. mthao00 thread starter macrumors member

15. thegrifman macrumors regular

To be matched they would have to be "the same size, speed and 'composition'." [http://guides.macrumors.com/Understanding_Intel_Mac_RAM] So 1+2GB isn't matched. I looked at OWC when I was shopping for RAM and found them to be higher priced than Newegg, in fact on my 2Gb stick I saved about $35 buying from Newegg rather than OWC, but $136.99 for a 1+2 doesn't sound like a bad deal at all. If you've already got 1GB though, all you need is a single 2GB stick.

16. mthao00 thread starter macrumors member

I was just going off what OWC is saying on their website. I understand that it's not really a matched pair.

Actually, I already have two 1GB modules installed (stock). The reason why I want to purchase a 3GB kit is because I plan on upgrading my brother's macbook to 2 GBs. So why not upgrade the MBP to 3GB and use the old modules to upgrade the macbook right? It only has two 512 MB modules. haha...

17. alljunks macrumors regular

how do you guys get 3gb of memory, being it has to be matching pair??

18. thegrifman macrumors regular

Who said it has to be a matched pair? Rev. C supports unmatched pairs, don't know about other revisions but I would bet they do as well, you just lose dual-channel when you do it.

19. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

MR Guide to understanding intel Mac RAM

Every intel Core Mac supports unmatched pairs. When you match, you get a modest (6% - 8%) boost in speed due to Dual Channel access.

20. alljunks macrumors regular

got it...tks....

hm...4GB upgrade.................:rolleyes:

21. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

How RAM Speeds things up.

RAM doesn't nessarly speed things up. But if your system runs low on RAM it will go to the next level or sorage your HardDisk. Wich is orders of magintude slower then your RAM. So the more RAM you get the less chance things will get SLOW. But if you are only using one App and things stay in RAM in the difference won't be much. But if you are handling High Resolution Photography or Graphics then you may run of RAM much quicker and serverly slowing you down when you most need the speed.

22. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

My Apple MacBook Pro 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (15.4-inch) only supports up to 3 GB of RAM. So far, it has 2 GB from the factory (1 GB + 1 GB).

I am still confused about the "matching pair" issues. Do they refer to matching makes of each ram sticks as a set instead of mixing one ram stick with another? Or, do they rather refer to matching the size of each ram stick? Like 1 GB + 1 GB or 2 GB + 2 GB, instead of 1 GB + 2 GB?

23. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Put 4 gigs in my 2.33 ($30 bucks for each 2 gig stick at BB) and I can definitely tell a difference going from 3 to 4 gigs. Yes, you only get 3 gigs and change, but you get a bit of a boost with dual channel, and ddr2 ram is dirt cheap.

If you're comfortable doing it, and your mbp is out of warranty, put in a wd scorpio black or a seagate 7200.4 for an added boost.

24. Jason Lee macrumors member