2gb vs 4gb in MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DELTAsnake, Jun 10, 2009.

1. DELTAsnake macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

I'm going to get a 13" MBP, I'm just wondering if the 2gb that's in the entry level MBP is too little? The last computer that I purchased that had less than 4gb is my current laptop that I got 5 years ago.

I only intend to use this MBP for internet, music, movies and maybe WoW, I also intend to get Snow Leopard when it comes out.

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

More RAM will only make a difference to performance if you actually use it. Unless you are using multiple demanding programs at the same time there really is no need to get 4GB. I have 2GB in my MacBook and often run Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Transmit, Imagewell, iTunes, Adium, Safari and Dashboard all at the same time. I've never felt the need to have more.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Buy RAM from 3rd party and install it by yourself. It costs only 50 bucks and you will notice a difference

4. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Buy it with 2 GBs and use it (keeping an eye on activity monitor). If you need more, buy 3rd party, which is better value for money. This way you know if you actually NEED 2 GBs. With Snow Leopard coming out too, I suspect RAM usage will actually go down a little too.

5. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I bought my new MBP with 4 gigs of RAM. You'll never know if you'll need it - especially with SL coming out. None of us actually know what kind of performance difference we are going to experience in SL with 2 vs 4 GB of RAM. Could be nothing, could be tremendous.

6. DELTAsnake thread starter macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

So I can upgrade later?

I was told by the local Mac store that Apple will void the warranty on any Macbook Pro if the bottom of the case is removed to upgrade the Hard Drive or Ram on the enclosed battery design.

7. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Yup, absolutely. It even describes it in the User Manual. All it means is that Apple will not replace the Hard Drive or RAM if it breaks or causes a problem. Normally the manufacturer will have their own warranty for that anyway.

8. DELTAsnake thread starter macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

Thanks allot guys! I'll get the base config and then if I need to I'll upgrade later.