Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DELTAsnake

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Australia
I'm going to get a 13" MBP, I'm just wondering if the 2gb that's in the entry level MBP is too little? The last computer that I purchased that had less than 4gb is my current laptop that I got 5 years ago.

I only intend to use this MBP for internet, music, movies and maybe WoW, I also intend to get Snow Leopard when it comes out.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
More RAM will only make a difference to performance if you actually use it. Unless you are using multiple demanding programs at the same time there really is no need to get 4GB. I have 2GB in my MacBook and often run Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Transmit, Imagewell, iTunes, Adium, Safari and Dashboard all at the same time. I've never felt the need to have more.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Buy RAM from 3rd party and install it by yourself. It costs only 50 bucks and you will notice a difference

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Buy it with 2 GBs and use it (keeping an eye on activity monitor). If you need more, buy 3rd party, which is better value for money. This way you know if you actually NEED 2 GBs. With Snow Leopard coming out too, I suspect RAM usage will actually go down a little too.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I bought my new MBP with 4 gigs of RAM. You'll never know if you'll need it - especially with SL coming out. None of us actually know what kind of performance difference we are going to experience in SL with 2 vs 4 GB of RAM. Could be nothing, could be tremendous.

DELTAsnake

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Australia
So I can upgrade later?

I was told by the local Mac store that Apple will void the warranty on any Macbook Pro if the bottom of the case is removed to upgrade the Hard Drive or Ram on the enclosed battery design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.