2gbs for a G4 iBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Maccily, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Maccily macrumors newbie

Maccily

I have thought about this for a long time, and wondered if it would be possible.
    Is it possible to give a G4 iBook 2gbs of ram?

Every thing I have read says the two final Models of G4 iBooks "Powerbook 6,7" can have 1.5gbs of Maxim Memory.

I have the 12inch 133ghz G4 iBook.

Also can OSX 10.5.8 Leopard run on an SSD?

I did read in this one post where someone said
    "The theoretical maximum RAM for the G4 iBook is probably 2GB."

2. Eriamjh1138@DAN macrumors 6502a

Eriamjh1138@DAN

3. AphoticD macrumors 68000

AphoticD

The last generation of iBook G4s only had one memory slot which will take a 1GB SODIMM. There is 512MB onboard, so 1.5GB is indeed the maximum. Even if it were possible, I don't think anyone would ever notice the difference between 1.5GB and 2GB of RAM on an iBook anyway.

And yes, my 12" iBook G4 1.33GHz has a 32GB mSATA SSD installed on an mSATA-PATA adapter (JM20330 chipset). It is setup to dual-boot Leopard and Tiger. The SSD has improved the iBook quite a bit. It boots fast, runs silently and combined with Leopard WebKit, it runs fast enough to make it a tolerable web browsing PowerPC. :apple: :) :apple:

4. amagichnich macrumors 6502

amagichnich

I quote @yamabushi "The theoretical maximum RAM for the G4 iBook is probably 2GB. However, this would involve replacing both main and expansion memory and would void the warranty." -> If one would replace the onboard RAM he could possibly have 2 gigs. 2 lanes á 1 GB seems to be the maximum supported capacity of a G4

5. Maccily thread starter macrumors newbie

Maccily

I was thinking it probably would involve replacing the Built in 512mb SDRAM, and that would be like a make it or break it kind of deal.

Adding a SSD is probably a better idea.. My iBook is just a little sluggish surfing the web, if I load more than 2 or 3 tabs it hangs a bit.. I use TenfourFox, or Aurora Fox which is faster but isn't supported by every website., And I have the Leopard WebKit too..

Thank you, that affirms my theoretical suspicions, and it is good to know that adding a SSD is an option.