2ghz C2D combo drive 80GB macbook hangs at symbol startup! (grey screen) DEAD!! >:(

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bluedoggiant, Mar 10, 2008.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

It hangs on startup, its my friends macbook, bought in august of 2007. I reseted the RRAM, but still, no hope, after the second startup sound, it would just restart. and keep doing the "gong". I also did the safe boot by doing shift after the sound, and release when the wheel appears.

I also did option and click the Macintosh HD, no hope, and holding down D hoping for the hardware test, no hope, I'm gonna ask him for the CD's to do the hardware test, and load it off there.

also, fans are going up, I'm thinking its an HD failure.

UPDATE: inserted leopard disc, disk utility, and, its announced...dead.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You could run Disk Utility off the DVD. If it sees the drive you could try to repair the HD from there.

3. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

How about the hardware test?

4. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

The Death of the white 2ghz C2D, 1gb, combo drive, 80GB Hitachi, august 07 macbook

Well, I'm typing on my family macbook, its a white 120GB, 2gb, 2.2ghz, at school, right next to me is a dead macbook, stuck at the startup screen with a never-ending swirl, leopard disc in it, and disk utility says that the drive has failed, this is the death of my friends macbook, which is his family's. luckily he got an imac 3 months ago, and he has all his files on the imac, but the family has no more macbook.

5. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

6. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

yes, the drive works, thats how i found out and confirmed it was dead, from disk utility.

7. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Well, if it's just the hard drive, it can be easily replaced... All is not lost.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

NVM, just realized you were talking about the 2Ghz. Drive is easily replaced and 100+GB 2.5" drives can be had for $100 or less.

9. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

I'm not sure what you mean by wrong machine. it was a c2d 2ghz. I put the leopard disc in (it was originally tiger) and put on disk utility, it said there was a fatal error or some, the HD died.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Sorry, I thought for a minute you were talking about the 2.2 and suggested you return as it was still under warranty (I removed that part of the comment) but since its the 2.0, you probably can't do that if they don't have Applecare and its more than a year old.

11. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

They can still send it to apple to fix it. They bought it in AUGUST 07.