Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redfive19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
Did a search but didn't want to resurrect a new an old thread.

Can the 2ghz mac mini with 4GB of ram play blu-ray discs in bootcamp? I have an external Lite-On DH-4O1S-08 drive in a Vantec USB 2.0 enclosure. I don't want to rip them and I'll be using AnyDVD HD to take care of the HDCP. Thanks in advance!!

-redfive

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
In bootcamp I'd say it's probable, as it's an external drive, as long as you have all the correct software/drivers and stuff, you'd be good to go.

h1d

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
MBA boot camp can't, so how can MM do that?

BD advisor app said gpu no good in MBA. PowerDVD won't even try to play it.
Playing BD file alone with VLC made a nice slideshow.

CpuCooker

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
But with Plex, a 2 gHz Mini can play nearly all Blu-ray rips just fine.

Plex is awesome. My 1.83 Ghz mini can play the rip of "300" topping at 94%-98% cpu usage. But "300" is only 14.5 Gb with one AC3 track.

Disney's "cars" is 19.9 Gb. Plex even show the amount of cpu needed to play the file, just press "i". "Cars" plays with 108% cpu usage. ?!?!? It means I need 8% more power to play it flawlessly. Even so, it's still watchable.

"Iron man" rip only stutters 4 or 6 times. 17.1 Gb

"3 10 to Yuma" tops at 115%-117% in the fast moving scenes and I have excessive frames droped. This 21.5 Gb rip is too much for this mighty mini, I'm hopping the 2.16 C2D I ordered will fix it.

Plex + Mac Mini is really awesome, all my pc friends are amazed with the silence and performance playing 1080p rips (remux files). OSx and plex only use 450 Mb of ram.

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
Not directly - the mini doesn't have HDCP and neccessary mumbo jumbo to support Blu-ray playback.

You can rip Blu-ray disks using AnyDVD and then play back in MacOS using Plex.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Not directly - the mini doesn't have HDCP and neccessary mumbo jumbo to support Blu-ray playback.

You can rip Blu-ray disks using AnyDVD and then play back in MacOS using Plex.

if apple introuduces some sort of bluray media player in SL that would be pretty awsome, it would hopefully be able to play it directly from a disk :)

redfive19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
Are you sure it doesn't have the right hardware? I know that VMWare Fusion and Parallels - it's impossible. In Fusion, Cyberlink won't even launch (says it cannot be run in a virtual machine) and Parallels doesn't have the neccesary video card. I was sure tho that bootcamp might be able to do it, no?

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
The Mac OS X driver does not use HDCP for the GMA 950.

I can't find much on Windoze Blu-ray use with the GMA 950.

PowerDVD does not directly support Blu-Ray playback on the GMA 950 (it wants 256MB of Video RAM and X3100 as a minimum) and it seems it requires Vista to play on Intel graphics.

What software were you thinking of playing back Blu-Ray directly on BootCamp/Windows?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.