2ghz or 2.4ghz?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kuchiki0, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Kuchiki0 macrumors newbie

Hi! I hope this is the right forum to ask this on, as I am debating before I buy an iMac.

Basically, I'm in the market for a 20" iMac, but the processor difference has me confused. I'm wanting to know which would be better for me - a 2ghz processor or a 2.4ghz processor. There seems to be a huge price point difference and I want to know if the 2.4ghz is worth it. The most intensive program I will be using is Adobe Photoshop... the rest is just internet browsing. No gaming or anything like that. RAM will be upgraded to 4gb regardless of what I get, if that makes a difference... I'm really iMac stupid here as this will be my first apple machine, so I apologize if I come off as unintelligent!

Anyway, any input would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

2. Garemz macrumors regular

more power always better, you can never get enough.

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The benefits to a 2.4GHz processor over a 2.0 are marginal at best. There really isn't a noticeable difference in performance, even in CPU intensive applications.

4. Piaget macrumors member

I agree, especially if you decide to bump up the RAM to 4 GB.

The real question is whether you need (want?) the backlit keyboard for the $300 premium. Having opened a MBP (briefly), I personally found it quite gimmicky and would never go for it.

5. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I honestly don't think 400mhz isn't an upgrade significant enough. I use Photoshop on my 2.1 Macbook and it runs great. It just does sometimes take up a lot of RAM when I have a bunch of layers/projects open, but you'll have that covered either ways.

6. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

The OP is referring to an iMac, so the backlit keyboard is irrelevant.

7. Kuchiki0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, cool! That's really what I wanted to know. Thank you, all of you, for your advice.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't think they're "marginal". If you need the power, then you need the power.

The OP doesn't need the power, so I'd go for the 2.0 GHz iMac.

9. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I have one with 1gb RAM and it does OK. I would definitely get 4gb for Photoshop though! I am going to upgrade to 3 myself in the coming months. (Just spent the last of my spare cash, gotta wait for it to build up again)

10. Piaget macrumors member

My mistake !

11. themanfromvlad macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

I got a refurb 2.4 Ghz iMac last month, and lucky me, RAM went on special at a local Electronics shop the same week. After a price match with Best Buy, I got 4GB of RAM for $59 Canadian. My iMac is a beast right now.