2Gig Vs. 4Gig Memory

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Smighty24, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Smighty24 macrumors member

Whats the real difference between 2gig and 4 gig memory in a macbook? Is it really necessary to get 4gig in your macbook? What are the pros and cons for having 2gig and 4gig. I'm trying to decide what to get with my new macbook.

2. Garemz macrumors regular

Games work better
    Apps work Faster
    Computer seeems faster overall

Get 4 gigs

3. Apple-Man23 macrumors regular

keep the 2 gigs it comes with if it is running slow then buy 2 more gigs online cheap and install it yourself

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

right on. why pay for more ram if you never access it?

monitor your page out to page in ratio in activity monitor and if the ratio of page out/page in is 10% id get more ram

5. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    You can probably max that puppy out for under a C-note! :eek: :D

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

true, wouldnt hurt to max it out if you can afford it. programs and futer os's will be more resource hungary in future

7. sbf74 macrumors member

+1

8. heatmiser macrumors 68020

This. Contrary to popular opinion here, it's worth determining if you need something before actually buying it.

9. dingus macrumors member

I was wondering about this myself the other day. I've only had my new (and first) MacBook for a couple weeks and so far I love it, but after installing a handful of apps things don't seem quite as quick as they were right out of the box. Though maybe I'm just imagining that. Either way I came across 4 gigs of Crucial selling for CDN$50 after rebates and figured eff it -- for that little, any improvement is worth it.

10. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Of course that's true. If you need the $100 to put food on your table forget it. But when you compare the cost of upgrading RAM today to the purchase price of your Macbook, MBP or iMac, it's quite shortsighted not to max out the RAM.

11. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

12. krypticos macrumors regular

that is the first thing i ordered after ordering my macbook last night is 4gb of ram for it and it has not shipped yet lol :apple: :D

13. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I was running 2GB of RAM on my Macbook and edited HD video without a problem.

Only upgrade to 4GB if you need it. I upgraded only because I found some RAM on sale. I honestly can't tell that much of a difference.

14. jcoop macrumors member

I just upgraded my MBP from 2 GB to 4 GB, mostly to make Windows run better under Fusion. Other than that, I haven't noticed much if any change in performance. If you like to run lots of power-hungry apps simultaneously, by all means do the upgrade. Otherwise, you probably won't see much difference.

15. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

Dude, get 4GB's, it's cheaper than gas and it ups your retail value. When I see a macbook 1gb for sale I say, "Pshh don't waste my time" When I see a macbook 4gb for sale I'm like, "Oh yeah, let's make somes deals."