Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

2K and Lucid Games Announce '2K Drive', a New Racing Title Exclusively for iOS

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Video game publisher 2K and studio Lucid Games, a company formed by past developers of console games such as Blur and Project Gotham Racing, have announced "2K Drive", a new racing title for iOS devices. The game will offer a mix of licensed cars from manufacturers such as Dodge, Ford, and Nissan, in addition to original cars, and will include as tracks locations from around the world.

2K Drive will also include a multiplayer component that includes race variations and mini-games, and will also feature "RaceFace", which will allow players to model their faces onto characters within the game. Real life racing news will also be available from within menus, with publications such as AutoBlog and Car & Driver being available.

Previously, Lucid Games teased the project in May on Facebook. 2K Drive is set to be released in the fall as a "premium iOS title".

Article Link: 2K and Lucid Games Announce '2K Drive', a New Racing Title Exclusively for iOS

egoistaxx9

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
hmmm... great, but i also wanna see the need for speed: rivals on iOS, it'd be pretty awesome, i'm also really excited about the upcoming asphalt 8

Comment

SeanMcg

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
What's the minimum hardware?

This looks cool, but is it going to require at least an iPad 4 to run? I wouldn't be surprised, but I would be disappointed. I enjoy RR2 on my iPad3, but it is obviously an old title.

Comment

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
To be shown alongside the iPhone 5S with it's amazing new processor and graphics capabilities?

Comment

gumblecosby

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Former Bizarre Creations employees? Damn I wish this was coming to consoles. Their pedigree is insane. Loved F1 97 on the psx.

Comment

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
On thursday the arcade racer 'Asphalt 8: Airborne' by Gameloft comes out.

YouTube: video

For some local friends here and me the previous Asphalt versions were/are the best iOS games of all times. Esp the local multiplayer mode.

Comment

unibility

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2012
Do you mean premium has freemium like Real Racing? Oh god.

You are able to hack Real Racing 3 for iOS and forget about purchasing Gold Coins, etc. There is no need to Jail Break the device. I was able to do this and get 2.6 billion coins. But the problem is that the maker of the game realized this and the only way to get to some Levels/Cars is to achieve trophies which sucks but what can you do.

Comment

Di4mondz

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2012
You are able to hack Real Racing 3 for iOS and forget about purchasing Gold Coins, etc. There is no need to Jail Break the device. I was able to do this and get 2.6 billion coins. But the problem is that the maker of the game realized this and the only way to get to some Levels/Cars is to achieve trophies which sucks but what can you do.

Yeah..I know you can basically hack any game that is t server sided..But I like to keep it legit :p

Comment

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
hmmm... great, but i also wanna see the need for speed: rivals on iOS, it'd be pretty awesome, i'm also really excited about the upcoming asphalt 8

Asphalt 7 hasn't even been released for Mac OSX yet. It's still on Asphalt 6. Will they ever release Asphalt 7 for Mac?

Comment

Reno Richter

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
Any game that competes with RR2 (OMP) and RR3 (TSM) is good for the market place. FM-EA has totally screwed up RR3 with their latest release (1.2). Hopefully the competition will force both developers to give the users more bang for their IAP's.

Comment

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
Asphalt 7 hasn't even been released for Mac OSX yet. It's still on Asphalt 6. Will they ever release Asphalt 7 for Mac?

Good question. I don't know. But I don't believe so.

A6 was the only game afair where you could play in multiplayer mode (via WiFi or Bluetooth) with Macs and iOS devices in the same race! A technical distinctiveness that wasn't seen before and after and wasn't praised enough imho.

Comment

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
cool game, but nothing great and extraordinary, need for speed, real racing and asphalt are the best racing games (but this is only my opinion, do try this game)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.