2mb vs. 4mb RAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dlewisdm, Feb 26, 2008.

1. dlewisdm macrumors member

Can anyone give me an idea of the significance of an upgrade from 2mb to 4mb on a new MBP? Essentially, I'm wondering if I'll even notice a difference for what I'm planning on using it for.

Basically, I'll be using my MBP for work which mainly involves office programs plus I'll be doing some photo editing (no video) and running a virtual machine using VMWare Fusion (With Vista Basic). I'd like to be able to run multiple programs at once without taking too big of a performance hit.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

*i think you mean GB. but from what it sounds like, if you can afford it, just go for the 4gb and then you won't have to worry about for a long time. the more ram the better, everything will just run smoother and faster

3. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

If you are planning on running VMWare and Vista - go for the 4GB, you will not be disappointed.

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

2mb and 4mb is too little. you need at least a few thousand more mb. :D

but seriously, 2gb+ is recommended regardless of what you do. If you run virtual machines, 2gb+ is a must.

5. dlewisdm thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to both of you for the advice. I was leaning towards doing it, but I'm definitely going to do it now.

and yes...I did mean GB...it's been a long day

6. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

i recommend owc ram. cheap and very reliable sticks of ram!

7. Cavalier macrumors newbie

This is my key concern. I'm converting to Mac for the first time (along with everyone else in my firm) ... but we've been told we'll need VMWare, so we can host some proprietary windows based apps ... plus, I'll feel more comfortable using Office for Windows, to address any compatibility issues.

If I never intend to game or do heavy film editing, is 4Gigs still the right call? Any experience with this?

8. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

yeah i would still go wit 4. vmware can be a memory hog so the more you have the more smooth everything will run for you

9. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Yep, VMWare needs lot of RAM and unless you are ok with using Windows XP with 512Mb RAM (Office runs with that much RAM but is slow and you won't be able to run anything else) I would suggest you go with 4GB.

Also if you are ok with dual booting XP and OSX - 2Gb is fine.

10. soccerjoe5 macrumors regular

will adobe photoshop and lightroom benefit greatly from a 2GB to 4GB upgrade? :)

11. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

First rule of thumb: "You can never have too much RAM"

Second rule of thumb: "If you run VMware, you can never have enough RAM" :)