2nd 13" Mac in the shop; Ask for better?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by guydude193, Sep 20, 2010.

1. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

In 2008, I purchased a MacBook (aluminium.) A year later, I had to have it replaced with a 13" MBP. Now, in 2010, this 13" MBP is having the same problems as my previous MB. I've taken it to my local Apple store; I'm not asking for tech help.

What I am asking, however, is if my rotten experiences with Apple warrants a better model for a replacement this time? (Before you ask, they've told me that a replacement is highly likely.) I'm going to ask for a 15", current-gen refurb unit.

I find it to be odd that this is my second Mac in less than two years. It also goes without saying that I'm angry not having a computer with which to do my school work / job. I feel that I deserve some sort of compensation for dealing with this junk.

I also purchased AppleCare a while back, and my Mac is only 9 months old. Surely, Apple will transfer something that hasn't taken effect, yes?

I know: Long post and spelling/grammer mistakes. I aologize for the latter, as I'm typing from an Epic 4G. Thanks in advance!

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You're missing so much information in your OP that it's impossible to advise you to do anything. You didn't explain what happened to your 13" MBP that a replacement would be necessary. Also just because you had one machine go bad and Apple replaced it with another that went bad doesn't mean you deserve compensation, why would you feel the need you deserve that? If the company is making good on replacing products you don't deserve any compensation.

3. guydude193 thread starter macrumors 6502a

@HLDan:
    Both of my Macs suffered from immense slowdowns, even after clean wipes and fresh installs. The point is that Apple told me a replacement is the mmost likely based on the RAM, logic board, and mic cables they've replaced already, all being seperate occurances.

Personally, a refurb unit and free AppleCare or a transfer don't seem outlandish to ask for.

4. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Highly doubt it, the incidents were a year apart from each other so while a inconvenience, not a major inconvenience. I remember when i got my current MBP i went through 4 of them within the first month which was a way bigger inconvenience than what you have (my computer had the bottom 1/3 yellow screen) and they just offered a ram upgrade.

If you wen't through 3-4 computer in the course of a month or two then go ahead and ask. But a year between incidences isn't all that abnormal for hardware (its rare but not unheard of like if your computer broke 3 times within a month or two.)

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Also, isn't that what AppleCare is for? To fix problems not to swap out computers whenever you have to send it in? It's too late to ask now since you've already spoken to Apple but it would've helped explain what you mean by "immense slowdown". It's also weird that you're experience the same problem again but with a different computer so explaining your problem could help you or you could be helping others.