2nd Atomic Hybrid received

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by glen e, Jan 17, 2011.

1. glen e macrumors 68030

Black/red cap received on time and in good shape. My second case from them with no delivery problems, ordered last week. I noticed the engraving of the name is more "chiseled" and looks more professional. All parts received and a good fit.

2. scelzifan macrumors 6502

Does the inside of the case look different too? I bet it's alot different than your first one huh? And the case itself has more distinct lines on the bottom and the Atomic is perfect. Its called injection molding!! Lots cheaper and faster to produce!!

3. glen e thread starter macrumors 68030

certainly not a shortage of immaturity here....carry on...

4. scelzifan macrumors 6502

Immaturity? Why is that immature? Its a fact!!! They don't use cnc machines to make there cases anymore, they have them injection molded. That's a fact, came from the cats mouth. Show a picture of your NEW case and prove me wrong. The owner already told me...it's not immature, it's called being truthful and not lying to your customers and telling them their cases are cnc'd when they aren't anymore, they were at first, but not anymore. Show us a picture of your old case and your new one. It's obvious and anyone who knows how injection molding works will be able to tell. There is a picture of one on here that was injection molded. NancyZ posted it.

5. scelzifan macrumors 6502

6. johnnybgood15 macrumors 6502

Wow I was dead wrong about scelzifan and I'll eat some Crowe, I thought you worked for atomic honestly.

Glen e this could have been posted in the atomic thread and it was unnecessary to start a new topic.

7. kaikai830 macrumors 6502

+1

8. gcarlucci macrumors member

Isnt injection molds expensive? Like 50k for a mold? How do you injection mold aluminum? is that even possible?

Anyway to merge the threads?

Guillermo

9. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Here are the comparisons scelzifan is talking about.

CNC Version:
    [​IMG]

Injection Mold.
    [​IMG]

Clearly a difference. I was going to order another case from them but knowing I'd be paying the same price for an inferior product I'll spend my money elsewhere.

10. gcarlucci macrumors member

I actually like the molded version better from the looks of it. I think ill place my black silver order.

11. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

Eesh...That looks terrible IMO. The molded version looks like something cheap I've seen before but I can't put my finger on it.

On an unrelated note, I have a 2 black hybrids (one with orange & brushed caps, the other with just a brushed cap) that I'm looking to sell. PM me if interested.

12. glen e, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

glen e thread starter macrumors 68030

and as we all know, capitalism is a terrible thing to discuss on this board...grow up geeks....it's a good case and priced along with the rest of the competition....man the haters here are amazing...still waiting for the Element hybrid, I'll be buying that too - and won't give a damn how they made it....

13. twoody macrumors newbie

maverick86, I am interested in one of your extra cases, just need to get my post count up to 5 bfore I can PM you...can I recieve pms?
    -twoody

14. twoody macrumors newbie

Another thing to note about the cnc vs. molding - if you notice the sharp inside corners on the molded logo - this would not be as sharp if it was CNC'd due to the cutter. Even a very small cutter would leave a radius in the corners.

15. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Let me be the first to say I've got nothing against capitalism, everyone needs to make a buck, but when they are passing off avproduct as something it isn't that is where I have as issue.

From the Atomic Website:

Description
    The Atomic Hybrid Composite Case is made of a light weight composite matereal coupled with 6061 billet aluminum. The Hybrid Composite case for iPhone 4 is only 15 grams. The case is injection formed coupled with T6 Billet Aluminum thats precision engineered and CNC machined.

They are still claiming the final product is CNC'ed which it is clearly not.

16. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I'm not trying to stick up for them in any way, but, if you take that last sentence, "The case is injection formed coupled with T6 Billet Aluminum thats precision engineered and CNC machined", it could just be a case of clever wording. Look at it this way...the first part "The case is injection formed..." could be referring to the composite/plastic piece (injection molded), and the second part "....T6 Billet Aluminum thats precision engineered and CNC machined" looks like it could be referring to the aluminum piece only..i.e., the aluminum piece is the only part that's CNC machined. Again, I don't care either way as I don't use this case (I did buy a used one for testing purposes in my reviews only), but it looks like it could just be a "clever statement" that is purposely crafted to give the initial impression of a 100% milled case, but when taken literally, only means the aluminum side.

17. gcarlucci macrumors member

Ummm isn't all the case manufacturers pretty much injection molded? Whats the problem? From the pics and reviews I have seen, it looks great on the ip4.

Silver or Gunmetal....decisions decisions.

18. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

No, I can't PM you until you have the minimum required posts. Once you get them, shoot me a message

19. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

Most of the mass market cases are injection molded or cast, but usually the smaller, more 'boutique" cases like Element, Atomic, any all the other aluminum case makers are typically CNC machined. Usually you are paying a higher price due to the added cost in the lower volume, more time consuming manufacturing process that these cases have. I think where people are potentially having a problem with this is that initially the case was sold as a precision CNC machined case, and were paying for that manufacturing process. If there has been a change (and I personally don't know if there has), I think the people here are saying that they'd be irritated that they are still paying a higher price for what could be a cheaper manufacturing process. That's my take on it.

20. glen e thread starter macrumors 68030

they don't "deserve" anything - this is business...if they don't think it's worth the money then they should not buy it. Really guys, this is pepper and flysh** stuff - no one cares if they found a better way to do and are buying yachts with the bucks. Agreed the website should change, but mac rumors guys don't deserve anything - free country to buy something else...

this reminds me of the pundits on TV this morning saying the investors "deserve' to know what's wrong with Jobs - what crap....it is my option to hold or dump my shares, that's it....

21. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I agree with you. However if something has in the manufacturing of a product (and I'm talking all companies in general) in the manufacturing of that product, especially when a main reason for buying said product is the way it was manufactured (again, a lot of people are willing to pay a higher price for a CNC machined product), then that company should tell the customers that something has changed, so that the customers can still make an informed decision about a purchase. For instance, Rolls Royces are still typically mostly (if not totally) assembled by hand. If a customer was to buy one, and only after the purchase was informed that his/hers was made on an assembly line and not hand built by expert craftsmen as advertised, I'm pretty sure that person would be rather angry. Part of the cost associated with a Rolls is that it's hand assembled, which is a rather lengthy process.

22. glen e thread starter macrumors 68030

understood...I think macrumors guys here - esp the real geekos -probably demand the CNC thing but since Atomic is rolling out in many of the big box stores, I doubt anyone could care. I know whar CNC is, but really don't care, and in my first post , noticed that injection molded looked better, IMO. The Japanese have made an industry out of refining processes that Detroit forgot, charging premium prices and making more money. Apple too. I never fault any of them for that, my apple stock allowed me to retire early.

But like I said, I do understand what you are saying, I have many people admire the case and I don't tell them it was CNC machined...but I'll bet a few geekos here do ...right out of the gate.

And if anyone gets torqued about me call them a geeko, I was not talking about you , it was the other guy here (LOL)

PS Rolls owned by my former employer- BMW - it's all automated now...Ferrari would be a better example...

23. gcarlucci macrumors member

Dont forget the big BULL...Lamborghini. Originally hand made, now audi owned and assembly line made. Prices keep going up on em too. :(

I just ordered black / "brushed" silver. Can't wait.

24. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

Lol...thanks for correcting me. I didn't know for sure if they were or not, but thought that the idea would at least express my point. But aren't the Rolls engines still all hand assembled, or have they changed that too?

25. glen e thread starter macrumors 68030

They are BMW 7 series motors.. All automated assy...the only thing in a Rolls that is still hand is the leather and coachwork...