2nd Bad GPU - June 2007 MBP 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nikhsub1, Nov 13, 2008.

1. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

Well, even the 'replacement' motherboards that apple is swapping for those with bad GPU's are bad themselves... Bought my MBP June of 07, the GPU failed July 3, 08. The machine worked fine, I could VNC to it and in sys profiler it showed up as the X3100... well, 4 months later (today) my GPU is once again DEAD. So, Apple is essentially useless and are replacing bad GPU's with more defective GPU's. I tried to demand a new machine without the 8600 with no luck. The 2.6Ghz 17" machines are not on the list of affected units, tried for that no luck there either... so, tonight I go back to the Apple store for them to put another defective GPU in my $3000 machine. :mad:

2. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

unfortunately, you are just going to have to accept what they give you.

If it happens again on the 3rd, then i think its time for them to pony up and give you a new machine. Otherwise, Id stand outside the apple store and start talking to people going in.

3. JC0205 macrumors newbie

Well back then in July 08...Apple didn't acknowledge the problem so maybe even though they fixed it with a defective chip, it was without them knowing. Hopefully now that they have confirmed the problem, they are now fixing the defective GPUs with new revisions that are not defective..or Apple or nvidia or someone are just digging themselves into a bigger hole.

I am considering getting a Macbook Pro classic..but am waiting to see if there's any signs that Apple is repairing the defective with non-defective GPUs. Hopefully..

4. nikhsub1 thread starter macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

It's funny how we all knew about the defective GPU's before Apple... anyway, apple now has an 'nvidia tester' to check for the bad GPU... it is an external HD, have no idea how it determines that it is bad. The good news is that the computer is being sent to TN to be fixed specifically for this issue, so hopefully it will be done right.

5. Tvt5043 macrumors member

hey nikhsub1 can u give me some contact info where i can reach you. seems liek you know a lot about hwat you are talking about in other post made by other. my problem is about warranty so if you can please do this It would greatly be appropriated.

6. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

If it fails again, call Customer Relations and you'll get a replacement.