2nd Crack in Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Richdmoore, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Well, it's been a rough one for my apple I guess. I found another crack in the palm rest, right where the other one formed. This last was repaired in March, 2008, so it lasted a whole 7 months....

Sigh, too bad I can't get this replaced with an aluminum macbook, I guess I'll just keep replacing the case until either the redesign the case and install it, or they refuse to service it any more.

2. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

I am feeling the same way. :( I wouldn't mind if they kept my specs the same, I just want a new case design on my MacBook!

3. fuzorsilverbolt macrumors member

I don't know what you have been doing to your laptop but my old g4 hasn't broken yet. My new macbook 2.16ghz hasn't "cracked" either. So I guess you're both just having bad luck.

4. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Maybe you should read into the issue, because many, many people have documented this to the point where Apple will repair it out-of-warranty.

5. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

On a case by case basis I think. I haven't heard about any recall so it would have to be. Many people have had cracks and many people haven't. This debate could go on forever, but Apple will fix it if they are at fault. In many cases it is the individuals fault. It goes both ways.

6. msft138 macrumors newbie

msft138

I just found some hairline cracks on my macbook today on the bottom by where the monitor is connected. Gonna take it in this week. What do they usually do for a repair? Am I going to without my macbook for a little while?

7. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

What does your G4 not breaking have to do with the subject at hand? My iBook G4 never broke either. My macbook has twice so far.

My dealer told me they will generally fix any macbooks exhibiting the classic cracked edges brought about by the distance holders on the display bezel, even the ones out of warranty,

8. Richdmoore thread starter macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Update

I just wanted to update everyone, I dropped it off around 8:30 pm at the apple store, they had it ready before noon the next day (they did have the parts in the back, it would have been a few days if not.)

I'll admit I'm not the easiest on the macbook, but then again I spend 1/2 of my life on the road, so the macbook isn't just sitting on a desk at home. I airline at least twice a tour, and I fly a private jet around the country the other days, so my luggage is constantly being stowed and crushed with other cargo and pax bags.

I asked the genius when I was there how common it was to keep having cracks develop, he just shook his head and said "If you only knew...."

I think they will be happy when/if new models come out that are metal vs plastic too....

Oh, and the first time I had this happen, I was third in line, and the first 2 people before me and the next one after me all had cracks in the same place, (none of the people even came in for the crack issue, they were having other issues and the genus gave them a free repair anyway.)

9. Surely Guest

Surely

I just got back from the Apple Store in Century City, and I thought I'd share my experience....

I brought my MacBook in to have keyboard/trackpad component replaced because of a hairline crack on the palm rest above the sleep light. My appointment was at noon. The Genius took one look at the crack and started the paperwork. He repaired it while I waited, and I walked out with my repaired MacBook at 12:30.

I thought I would be without my MacBook for a couple of days!

Great service.....

10. cavemanzk macrumors newbie

I got a new Model Black Mac Book (2.4) i now have a crack along the top righthand side on the risen bar on the frame on the screen. I rang Apple New Zealand and they said they would replace it. My mates got the same problem