Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
ColoJohnBoy said:
Yes, I often compute in the nude. I find it connects me, on a very primal level, to my ancestral roots.

:p

I was wearing shorts.

looks like good ole bill would give the thumbs up to naked computing. i am following that logic as we speak.

the girlfriend is on her way over!!!

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
KingSleaze said:
Read the documentation that comes with it. It is not recommended for use on a lap (or a pillow protected lap). Hard surface only.

Repeat as needed to remember......

While you may be right, there is NO way that a 'notebook' should harm you. Just like apple recalled their batteries because they could harm you. I'm sure he could get a new laptop from apple quite easily as court costs would be a lot more...

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
JasonElise1983 said:
You should buy this
http://www.raindesigninc.com/ilap.html

By the way, were you naked when using your laptop. I've used them with pants on and it gets warm, but to burn you, i would think you wouldn't have pants on....just my thought.

You can also get a burn through clothing. That is why the device that you mentioned is important.

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
wdlove said:
You can also get a burn through clothing. That is why the device that you mentioned is important.

iLap does a good job of keeping the hot notebook away from you but my iBook still runs hot as hell. cpu temp is always around 130 F

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
SummerBreeze said:
Contrary to popular belief, laptops aren't really meant for your lap. Your body produces a lot of heat, and putting something potentially hot against your already hot skin isn't the best idea. The best thing to do would be to use your powerbook only on a desk, or buy a lap-mat for it.

yes, and the situation with a laptop on your lap is made worse by the lack of ventilation under your computer. all of the heat goes from the computer right into your body.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
BioBaby said:
Did you see this?

https://depot.info.apple.com/batteryexchange/index.html?lang=en

My PG G4 is post-Paris 2003 vintage, and it gets hot as Hell... and I live in Texas and should know how hot Hell is! Wish that it had a similar recall. Has anyone seen a battery recall for older PB G4s?

Yeah, I'm aware of the program. Currently using the battery Apple sent me as a part of it. I don't know. I'm thinking I should hold out another week, just in case PowerBooks are speed bumped or something, so just in case I get to exchange, I can get brand spanking new :)

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Yeah, my screen on my Powerbook is so bright I burnt my retinas. As a matter of fact I am not seeing a thing whilst I type this :D

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
JasonElise1983 said:
By the way, were you naked when using your laptop. I've used them with pants on and it gets warm, but to burn you, i would think you wouldn't have pants on....just my thought.

Wait, wait wait wait wait..

I need to wear clothing when I use my PowerBook?

THE GENIUS BAR LIED TO ME!

/that's why they asked for pictures.. Hmmm.
//Oh well, it was free.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
It seems I made a good call by getting iBook for the on the road use while keeping my PBs on iCurve or cool pad. I run a clip-on fan on my desk to cool my 15" PB which is perched on iCurve. My 12" PB is on the cool pad. My 15" Ti is on iCurve. At home, I put my iBook on the cool pad. So, I have been very thorough to keep my Macs in good shape.

If a lady gets a multi million dollar verdict from burning herself with MacDonald's coffee, you should be able to sue Apple for the burn (not that I recommend it).

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
ColoJohnBoy said:
I usually don't use it on my lap, but even so, I shouldn't have to buy a third-party product to prevent injury from the use of another product.
It's sort of like a motorcycle and a helmet? I hope your burns heal quickly with no complications, and sorry to hear about your nephew popping the blisters.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
WillMak said:
get a lawyer...sounds like you can get some mucho $$$ out of this!

while I'd try to get a new 'laptop' out of apple fist, I don't see a lawsuit too farfetched. Especially since you can sue (and win) mc Donald's if the pickles are too hot and burn your tongue.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
WillMak said:
get a lawyer...sounds like you can get some mucho $$$ out of this!
I suppose I could, but I'm not one for suing anybody, unless truly warranted. Least of all would I want to sue Apple. I'd be happy if I could just get fixed whatever is wrong.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
blaskillet4 said:
while I'd try to get a new 'laptop' out of apple fist, I don't see a lawsuit too farfetched. Especially since you can sue (and win) mc Donald's if the pickles are too hot and burn your tongue.
You need the universal warning label/sign:

"Warning: The moron reading this warning right now will probably find a way to get hurt no matter what we say. So we've got enough insurance to pay for daisies on you grave."

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Sun Baked said:
You need the universal warning label/sign:

"Warning: The moron reading this warning right now will probably find a way to get hurt no matter what we say. So we've got enough insurance to pay for daisies on you grave."

So I'm a moron, am I? ;)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
ColoJohnBoy said:
So I'm a moron, am I? ;)
Every now and then a post will insult 100% of the people that read it, hopefully I'll get quite close to that mark. :D

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Sun Baked said:
Every now and then a post will insult 100% of the people that read it, hopefully I'll get quite close to that mark. :D

Oh sir, how terribly you underestimate me. I'm the youngest of four children. I've endured Indian Spit Torture, the belief until I was 13 that I was adopted, and having my hand dipped in warm water while I slept on a near daily basis.

Dish it out. I dare you.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
From the way you describe it it sounds like your PB isn't running the way it should be, although notebooks can get really hot, particularly without proper ventilation underneath (such as when in contact to bare skin), whether Apple or other (hottest notebook I ever used was a Dell, 12" 1st gen PB was the 2nd hottest).

That said, are you aware of "low temperature burns"? Basically, it's what happens when something relatively warm (but not that hot) is in contact with the same piece of skin for an extended period of time. Although it doesn't hurt, and the temperature isn't high, that patch of skin eventually fails to properly move the heat away and ends up incurring cellular damage.

If you read the instructions on any electric heating pad or chemical heat pack you'll see these warnings--it's why you're not supposed to sleep on a heating pad, and a real danger to old folks who move around less and have sensitive skin.

Whether it *should* happen with a computer on your lap is debateable, but it's probably what happened to you--the cells in your skin are comfortable at around 100F, so if you put a 110F laptop on them it doesn't feel that hot but eventually the heat "slow-cooks" the cells under the surface to the point of damage and blistering. Keep in mind that a 105F fever is only 7F above body temperature, but can cause brain damage--cells are sensitive. I don't entirely blame Apple, as this can happen with anything warm, but based on the "laptop" label there should really be warnings or other precautions that they take to keep the botttom cool.

Astral Cars

macrumors regular
May 11, 2005
St. Paul
My powerbook is also quite hot. I haven't burned myself, but I almost always am using it on a desk. Especially the area above the function keys, I believe I could burn myself there and perhaps underneath as well. Anyway, my question is:

Is there a program or a way I can make my fans kick on at a lower temperature or do something to keep it a bit cooler, other than buying some product?

Also, is there a way to have an accurate, current temperature reading from this, it's always the same as it was when it starts up and is it just me or does that seem pretty useless?

By the way, it's a 1.5GHz 15" PB

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
My new model 15" Powerbook doesn't seem to be as hot as my old iBook G4 was. I find that using the "Better Battery Performance" option makes it cooler, but it really all depends on what you are doing.

Yea, if you leave it on your lap, or on a blanket or something... It will get pretty hot, but, never warping heat!

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
What gets me is that I thought the book was well enough ventilated. I had the front edge, the part with the optical drive slot, resting on the waist of my shorts, and the rear protion resting on my leg. There seemed to plenty of space underneath, on the sides, and between my legs.

And no dirty jokes.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
CPU Load???

Hey, I'm no Mac genius, but I'm wondering what kind of load you were putting on the CPU when it got so hot. Had you been running iDVD for two hours? Did you have every single application in your dock running at the same time? I've found that my 1GHz G4 iBook stays relatively cool (yes on my lap, or on my bed, or wherever...) as long as I only run one or two applications at a time. When I'm done with something I shut it down. Right now I've only got Mail & Safari running and Temperature Monitor Lite says I'm at a balmy 42-degrees Celcius and holding. But I know from experience that iTunes will bump it up a bit, and iMove or iDVD will soon start the fan running. Nothing is free in this world, and the price of performance is heat.

PS -- Your lawyer wants you to take some photos of your burn, on film if possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.