2nd Display for a 24" iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gazfocus, Dec 11, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I am buying a 24" iMac in January when they are updated and I would like to use a 2nd display with it.

I currently have a 23" Cinema Display which is only a couple of months old but I was wondering if it would be difficult to use a matte display and a glossy display together? Would I therefore be better off selling my 23" ACD and replacing it with a 24" LED Cinema Display?

Any advice/comments would be fully appreciated.

Thanks

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It would be weird to use a matte a glossy right next to each other. As with replacing the 23" with the new 24", you'd need to wait for an adapter (if it ever will come).

3. descartes macrumors 6502

I have used a matte lcd next to a glossy display. it is a bit odd at first but you can also take advantage of having two different types of screens for different uses. If you dont have a laptop or dont intend on getting one, I would stick with the 23" acd. a lot of the benefits (isight, power cable) would be lost if you used with the imac. and then you need an adaptor.

4. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

Well, I'm assuming the new iMacs (when updated) will have the DisplayPort connector, rather than the current mini-DVI port they have now, so the LED Cinema should plug right into the new iMac.

You'd have to get a DVI to DP adapter for that. If they go with the same mini-DisplayPort connector thats on the unibody portables, you should be in luck.

It's my opinion that you should use what you have, it saves you money in the long run. Do it. I don't think there will be any major issues with glossy/matte, and like Descartes says above, it might even be an advantage, having both types of screens.

5. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thanks for the responses so far. My only concerns with 2 different types of displays are a) they won't look 'right'. I've always been a fan of dual display setups but I have always thought both screens should be the same, however, I lose either way with the iMac as even the LED display isn't the same design as the iMac. and b) when I used to have my 23" ACD and a 19" Samsung hooked up to my PC, the colour profiles were different for each screen and as a result, what looked white on the ACD, looked yellow/cream on the Samsung and visa versa.