2nd drive on Macbookpro appears as external drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pjny, Mar 4, 2013.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I used the OWC data doubler to add a second SSD to my macbook pro 2011 13" running 10.8.2. The secondary drive appears as an external disk on my desktop (it can be ejected).

It is also appearing as a disk when I am ingesting compact flash cards using photo program called Photo Mechanic.

How do I hide this disk so it doesn't show up on desktop when I bootup as well as a compact flash disk option i can ingest using Photo Mechanic?

Also how do I remount it if i eject it.

Thanks.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

In Finder Menu,Finder-Prefernces-General, uncheck External disks.

Remount in Disk Utility.

3. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. My only issue with that is I have a usb and a firewire drive that I need to be able to see. I guess there is no other way?

----------

I unchecked "External Disks" but the disk icon did not disappear from the desktop. It only disappears if i uncheck "Hard disks" but then so does my primary drive icon.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Seems like a bug, you say the 2nd SSD is shown as an external, which in fact it is not, and this is the reason why it still stays on the desktop, because it is an internal disk, somehow the Icon gets messed up or something else is wrong.
    You might try a restart or cleaning All caches.

Weird it is.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

My advice:

You now have -two- drives in the Macbook.
    So that means you should see -two- drive volume icons on the desktop.

Just get used to it.

If you absolutely can't stand the second icon, you can do this:
    - after you boot up and the second icon mounts, drag it to the trash.
    - it will un-mount until you restart (or log out and then back in).
    - if it spontaneously re-mounts after a period of sleep, just drag it back to the trash to unmount it again.

But you may find it easier and simpler to just "get used to it" being there….

6. benwiggy macrumors 68020

"Works as Designed."

If you have a drive connected to your computer, then it will mount at startup.
    Any volume that's not the System volume can be unmounted/ejected.
    If you don't want to see/use it, then eject it.

It may be possible to stop it mounting at startup using some heavy magic (editing fstab?). Or you could remove it and put it in a external case, and then only attach it when you need it.

7. switon, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013

switon macrumors 6502a

RE: automount, automountd, autofs, autofsd, auto_master, ...

Hi benwiggy,

I agree (I think), you can keep the Mac OS X from mounting an attached external drive at startup. And the linux way would be to use fstab to remove the automount, as you suggest. But I believe Apple has moved away from this fstab mechanism and now uses a master map and the automountd daemon launched by launchd at boot to automatically mount volumes. I've modified the master map before and I've added new maps before, but I've never tried to actually keep a particular attached drive from mounting at boot. I believe you can do this, but I don't have personal experience doing this. The auto_master manpage documentation is particularly extensive and thorough, so I'd look there first.

Regards,
    Switon

P.S. I should mention that I believe you can still set the master map to point to the fstab file so that you can use fstab for controlling the mount of certain volumes.