2nd DVD player for MacBook?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tissue Paper, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Tissue Paper macrumors regular

Have a question that's bugging me for years. My DVD player in my Mac laptop is stuck on region 1. I used up all my changes and there's no way to switch to any other region. They tell me there's no way to fix this, it's a factory/manufacturing thing. So, if I buy an external DVD player, can I hook it up to the laptop and will it allow me to play region 2? Is that possible? Like I pay for another player and hook it up with a USB wire?

2. samh macrumors 6502

Seems like that should work. The drive region has to do with the firmware in the drive itself as far as I remember, and it has to do with the DVD spec itself. As in, if you make a DVD drive you have to abide by these rules.

3. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

You are correct.....

when you uses all your DVD region changes, you still can plug another DVD to the Mac and play until the changes in that drive are used. Old rule of thumb is you are allowed to only 5 changes.

Sometime ago I read about a kind of hack to liberate the drives of region-limitation. Seems to me that was here in the forums. Maybe a search in the old threads is worthwhile for you and dont have to use another DVD. But, on second tought, I seems to remember the hack involves tampering with the firmware. And that can render the DVD itself unusable if no done right.....:(....:eek:

:):apple: