2nd gen 16 gig touch refurb not loving it

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by faroukabad, Dec 28, 2009.

1. faroukabad macrumors member

I recently got a second generation iPod touch refurb, because I go to LA once a month and I wanted something i could get on the internet with that was small, etc. etc.

I'm not loving this thing. It doesn't connect to the free public wireless in the airport terminals, just spins endlessly. I tried t-mobile, got it to work once, but I couldn't watch any of my internet TV shows because it doesn't support flash, nor could I participate in any of my regular chats for the same reason. Blue cubes.

now I can't even log into t-mobile, it just keeps kicking me back to the wireless connection menu.

it won't turn off sometimes. It's extremely difficult to navigate if it does happen to get on the net at the airport. It seems to me like a crippled nearly useless piece of hardware. I like the bigger display for movies, and it's nice to have some books loaded as apps to read, but that's about it.

What am i missing here. I'm used to being bowled over by Apple products. I wish I didn't invest in this thing, it was expensive.

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Sounds like maybe you got a dud — it is a referb, after all. Why not return it? Or, if you purchased it from Apple — it's covered under AppleCare. They'll just swap it out for another.

3. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

yeah apple should just swap it for you
    and it kinda sucks not having flash support but if it did the app store would die

4. faroukabad thread starter macrumors member

i got it at Overstock.com. Think it's a dud, eh? I better check the return policy and see if there's still time. i'd like to get rid of it, if this is the best it can do.

5. faroukabad thread starter macrumors member

hmm, not returnable. Ugh. I shoulda paid the extra money and got it from Apple. Guess that's the last time I shop at Overstock.com. A $200.00 malfunctioning piece of equipment.

maybe the tablet will really come out soon....

6. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I don't think the issue is if it is returnable. Is it covered by Apple's usual warrantee?

7. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Ya, you really should have gotten that straight from Apple. They have the same 16Gb refurbs for $199.

8. faroukabad thread starter macrumors member

it says 90 day manufacturer warranty, I bought it on Oct 8, so I think it would end on Jan 8. How do I return it, do I contact Apple?

9. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

It will have a 1 year warranty. 90 day of free phone support - the rest you might need to pay a fee for phone help if they deem there is nothing wrong. I'm not sure how that works - i've never had to pay.

Are you near an Apple Store by any chance? If so, just make an appointment and take it in (along with your proof of purchase in case it's not logged at apple - ie, did you register it?). They will likely replace it right then and there for you.

They will probably however ask you if you have done a full restore and set up as new on it. That is the stuff they will go thru with you on the phone too.

It does sound like the wifi is wonky, and they will replace it for that (had it happen to the guy sitting next to me at the genius bar).

Whatever you do, you probably do NOT want to attempt to walk into an apple store without an appointment this time of year! LOL!!

10. faroukabad thread starter macrumors member

I decided to send it back to Apple, I don't have much faith in the "geniuses" in the Apple stores. I posted it back to them today via the UPS store, we'll see what they say about it. I tried it on our home cable modem network which runs great with my macbook, and it dropped the connection and wouldn't reconnect.

I hope they can resolve the problem, or I will have a partial brick on my hands. An expensive partial brick.

11. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I got that for my daughter and it works great and feels like a new one. I was going to get her the 8GB 3rd generation but I saw the 2nd generation refurb for the same price so I got that instead.

12. ronster22 macrumors member

I can't see how Apple is selling any 8GB 3rd gen when the 16GB 2nd Gen is the same price, and it has the same guts inside.

13. faroukabad thread starter macrumors member

man, they've had my iPod for over a month now and no news. I e-mailed them and they said it was in the warehouse for repair. I don't know if I am ever going to see it again.

Has anyone ever sent their iPod in for repair and never got it back?

14. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

apple will never screw you over. just wait. they are probably busy.

15. faroukabad thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reassurance, I'm beginning to panic. I've never had a bad experience with Apple yet, hope this will not be the first. I don't mind if they're busy, I just mind if I never get it back.

16. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Well I think it's amazing how many people don't even know Apple has a refurbished store, and you can't buy refurbs in the store. You also have people who think buying a refurb from Apple is not good.
    I got 2 iPods from the refurb store and I'll keep buying iPods this way now.

17. faroukabad thread starter macrumors member

Well, a couple of days ago, I e-mailed them again and said it's been 2 months, is this normal? Is my iPod lost?

Finally, some action. Next day I got an e-mail saying they had located my iPod in the repair center, Day after that I got an e-mail saying that they had shipped out a replacement. Today, the replacement iPod shows up at the door.

I can't tell you how relieved I am, I was really beginning to think my iPod was gone forever.

Thank you, Apple, for finally coming through for me!

And thank you, everyone who posted advice that led me to sending in for repair!

18. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

great! see...apple never screws up people...great that you got it back!

cheers..

19. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Good to hear that you got it back, but next time head over to the Apple store, they'll do a replacement on the spot.. I've must have gotten 8 or 9 replacements for my various iPods and iPhones.

Hope this one works for you!

20. faroukabad thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! So far, so good. This new (refurb) iPod works better that the old one ever did. The touch screen is more sensitive and not freezy.

I spent a long time connected to the 'net wirelessly last night and it didn't drop the connection or cause any problems. I'm really happy with it right now, seems more like the kind of Apple products I am used to (superior).

21. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Congrats. I think you should've gotten the iPad :p
    IMO...3rd gen ipod touch >>> 2nd gen :p

22. faroukabad thread starter macrumors member

you are probably right, but I got this iPod in Oct., before we were very sure of the iPad.

I'll get a iPad in a year or so, hopefully. Maybe next year's tax return!