2nd Gen 3.1.3 downgrade to 3.1.2

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by daniel000, Feb 16, 2010.

1. daniel000 macrumors member

Hey guys,

one of my friends has a second gen ipod touch which he recently has upgraded to 3.1.3 by accident.

Im wondering if its possible to downgrade to 3.1.2?

thank you
    daniel

2. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Yeah I would like to know this too since I want to downgrade. The recent upgrade has made my iPod touch sluggish when scrolling. Strange.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Only way to downgrade would be to restore to the backup made just before the upgrade. You will get an error message otherwise.

@ kdum: I recommend restarting your iPod before trying to downgrade. It can sometimes do miracles.

4. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

how do I do that? Do you mean by holding the power switch down? I am not sure how to restart it.

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Hold down the button along the top edge, you should see a message prompting you to slide to power off. After it's off, hold the button again until you see an Apple logo, wait for it to go back to your home screen.

6. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Thanks. Strangely it half-worked. The sluggishness when scrolling has more or less abated but is still there a little. Certainly not as smooth as before my update. Weird. Thanks for your help.

7. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Glad to hear about the partial solution kdum. I would also suggest that you make sure the touchscreen surface is clean, it may have difficulty reading input if there's a layer of whatever between the capacitance screen and your fingertips. Take off the screen protector (if you have one) and see if there is any improvement. Bringing it into an Apple Store and duplicating the issue may also be in your best interests; if it's within warranty they may choose to replace it if issue is still present after a complete restore.

8. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Thanks for the suggestion Jedi. That is useful advice but in my case I think not relevant since the strange sluggishness occurs only on my podcast menu and nowhere else. Also since it started immediately after I updated the software I think it is a pretty good sign that is the cause.

Considering that Apple made me pay for the update it is annoying it doesn't seem to work as well as the previous version. Still I wanted it for the genius mixes so... :p