2nd Gen 3G iPhone and tethering

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scariaga, Apr 6, 2008.

1. scariaga macrumors regular

I've noticed quite a lot of talk about the potential release date of the 3G iphone in June. Everybody is concerned about the possibility of a camera, GPS, HD size. These are all great concerns but I was also wondering about the possibility of Iphone tethering an internet connection for a computer or laptop (in my case Macbook Pro). I've been told that many smart phones offer this ability but that iphones currently do not. Is this something that may be improved upon for the next gen iphone?

2. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

I doubt anyone here could give you a definitive answer to your question.

I'd like to see it as an option... However, note that AT&T's Unlimited Data plans for Blackberry and PDA/Smartphone each cost $35 per month. Adding tethering changes those rates to $65 per month and the data drops from unlimited to 5000MB.

Obviously, other providers may charge more or less than AT&T's $30 premium for tethering. But to not even offer it on the iPhone is a setback for those who travel frequently.

3. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting. I really don't know too much about how this works, how would a laptop connect to an iphone or smart phone to share it's internet connection?

4. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Apple would either push the appropriate Bluetooth data profile in a phone firmware update or update the phone to allow a USB-based connection for data.

These are very unlikely unless there was a plan change for tethering data as skwoytek pointed out. I used to do this with my Verizon phone. AT&T would have to comply and since the SDK relegates 'excessive data' applications to Wi-Fi only it would seem there's an agreement there to keep the bandwidth usage down.

5. Whoa67 macrumors newbie

Whoa67

Smartphone as modem

In sweden 3G is very common. Iphone is not. Hasn't officially been released here yet.

I use my jailbreaked and hacked Iphone to make calls on, and my old crappy Nokia N95 to wirelessly connect to my MacBook Pro to get internet access over bluetooth. The fastest mobile 3G connection that is avalible in Sweden is 7,5 Mbit (unlimited is about 40 USD) . In my case Bluetooth sets the limit. But it works great. I could use a USB cable but it's not worth the hassle. Now the phone is in my bag. And I connect as a modem over bluetooth.

Would be nice if I once and for all could trash my Nokia and only use Iphone.

I can't wait for a 3G iphone. Today I forward all my calls from my 3G account to my Iphone Gsm account. Expensive but worth it, thanks to Iphone.
    :):):):):)

6. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

ah ok so I won't hold my breath on that one then. thanks for your replies :)

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's actually possible with a moderate amount of trouble (but not as smoothly as on the N95, as I understand it) to set up tethering on an unlocked / jailbroken iPhone now.

http://cre.ations.net/blog/post/tether-your-iphone

(You should exercise caution in doing this if you don't pay for tethering).