Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
There is no reason for Apple to use AMD GPU. Only if they had a contract signed long ago that from 2 to 2 years they will use their cards. Nvidia are better in every way than Amd equivalent

Reactions: johnnyturbouk

Dubadai

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2015
Stockholm, Sweden
There is no reason for Apple to use AMD GPU. Only if they had a contract signed long ago that from 2 to 2 years they will use their cards. Nvidia are better in every way than Amd equivalent

Considering their all-in approach with Open GL, I doubt that it's some kind of temporary thing with AMD.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Considering their all-in approach with Open GL, I doubt that it's some kind of temporary thing with AMD.

And they now have only AMD across their whole range it has taken them 2 years to get there from the release of the nMP, I think they'll stick for while.
There are new AMD GPU's due out in the next couple of months that are looking promising.

soupcan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2014
Netherlands
And they now have only AMD across their whole range it has taken them 2 years to get there from the release of the nMP, I think they'll stick for while.
There are new AMD GPU's due out in the next couple of months that are looking promising.
The R9-3XX series are rebrands of the R9-2XX series which were already rebrands of the HD79XX series.

AMD needs to get their **** together and make NEW GPUs again instead of rebranding their same old GCN 1.0 tech. This is why nVidia has been beating the crap out of AMD lately. They actually make new cards. Sure, the GTX970 is a GTX780, but it's not the top card. An AMD R9-390 is the same card as the R9-290, both top-tier cards.

Reactions: Dubadai

roadkill401

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2015
There's this thing called GPU acceleration, and it's getting more and more support from companies like Adobe and Autodesk and Maxon. Thing is, they're using CUDA. AMD GPUs don't support CUDA. Apple wants to push the industry to OpenCL, but the software makers simply refuse.

So the problem is the software application writers that are refusing to support a more open standard that is not locked into one particular brand of GPU. Why are you not hammering the likes of Adobe, Autodesk and Maxon for their refusal to write software to support the hardware that is on the market. There are always two sides to a coin.

Reactions: steve62388

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It's not just gaming. There's this thing called GPU acceleration, and it's getting more and more support from companies like Adobe and Autodesk and Maxon. Thing is, they're using CUDA. AMD GPUs don't support CUDA. Apple wants to push the industry to OpenCL, but the software makers simply refuse. Why bother with it when you already have a stable platform in the form of CUDA? This is why people are upset. I know I was when Apple put a M370X in the MacBook Pro. I was expecting a GT950M or a GTX960M in there which outperforms the M370X on almost everything.

Meh, while CUDA would be nice most modern software offers opencl support that is good enough to still see improvements. Now if Apple ever offered and sold a decent nVidia card especially one with decent opencl support I'd be upset.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Meh, while CUDA would be nice most modern software offers opencl support that is good enough to still see improvements. Now if Apple ever offered and sold a decent nVidia card especially one with decent opencl support I'd be upset.
So the problem is the software application writers that are refusing to support a more open standard that is not locked into one particular brand of GPU. Why are you not hammering the likes of Adobe, Autodesk and Maxon for their refusal to write software to support the hardware that is on the market. There are always two sides to a coin.

Adobe and Autodesk already announced support for Metal in their products, so progress is being made.

Reactions: 762999

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
If Microsoft buys AMD, maybe Apple will shift over to nVidia again...?

Apple and Microsoft has a powerful history together, Apple wouldn't shift to nVidia just because Microsoft happens to own it, there has to be another reason.

One thing that a lot of people don't understand is that buying AMD is a huge problem. You will run into x86 licensing issues, regulations, anti-trust review, and so on, and that's just the first few years. Microsoft is going to have a long battle ahead if they want to buy AMD and they can risk hostile retaliation from Intel, which MS doesn't want to do. Intel hinted several times that any purchase of AMD will void the x86 contract.

The only thing MS might want to do is buy the graphics division (ATi) from AMD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.