iPad mini 2nd Gen iPad Mini End of Life?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LarryJoe33, Aug 13, 2017.

1. LarryJoe33 macrumors 6502

LarryJoe33

I have an old 16GB iPad that has grown painful to use. It's slow, unresponsive and I have to manage the storage pretty regularly. I think it's running iOS 9 which is the last supported iOS.

I really only use it in bed, keep it on my nightstand. Check email, iMessage and watch TV via Xfinity (which surprisingly it can handle after slowly navigating to a channel.

If I wipe it clean and reinstall iOS and a few apps will it run faster?

2. Dave-Z macrumors regular

Probably will not run faster.

FWIW, I have an iPad mini 2 running iOS 11 beta so iOS 9 is not the latest that can run on a gen. 2. It runs slow but is usable if you have patience.

3. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

Is it actually a first generation iPad Mini, rather than second?

The first gen is limited to iOS 9.3.5, and has the A5 chip/512MB RAM.

The second gen is still receiving iOS updates, and with the A7 chip/1GB RAM, is still fairly responsive to use. I have one. It sometimes stutters in games, and is generally not as slick as the newer iPads, but it's certainly very usable, and quick enough for email/internet use etc.

4. onepoint macrumors 6502

onepoint

iPad Mini 2 brought the retina screen, correct?

And 3 brought Touch ID. And 4 brought a casket

5. Greenmeenie macrumors regular

Greenmeenie

I currently use the ipad mini 2 running iOS 10. Its fine for surfing the web, reading emails, doing light video & photo editing, but it's showing it's age. The physical home button doesnt work now, and isnt covered by apple warranty anymore, so i had to set up a virtual home button in settings. It works, but its buggy and is a pain to use sometimes. I do notice my ipad is much much slower than the new ipads in the apple store, which is to be expected.

I really want to upgrade to a pro model to use an apple pencil for sketching while traveling. The ipad mini is the perfect travel size. I would love to see Apple release a pro version, but that didnt happen. I may wait until the iphone ios11 keynote in september to see if Apple quietly announces an ipad mini update. But if it doesnt get apple pencil support, i will definitely get the 10.5" ipad pro. Cant wait any longer.

6. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 6502

LarryJoe33

Yeah, you are correct, it is a first gen. I just restored to factory. I am going to keep it light. I have plenty of other devices that are fully configured. We will see, haven't had 13GB free in a while.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 13, 2017 ---
    Maybe I should start looking at used iPads that are only a year or so old. I bought this thing in December of 2012.