2nd Gen. iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GTghost, Oct 14, 2010.

1. GTghost macrumors regular

Ok so this morning I got a text from my brother claiming that his friend saw the 2nd Gen iPad prototype.

What do you think?

[​IMG]

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Absolutely plausible. Apple is tight on security, thus they needed new locks anyway, especially after the iPhone 4 fiasco.

Though the iPad part seems to be pulled out of someone's arse.

Though why did that screenshot go through Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Windows on 2010/10/14 at 16:40:37 of your local time?

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Agreed, Apple always covers unreleased products with a black cloth.

4. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Thanks for sharing. This helps a lot. LIKE A LOT!

5. GTghost thread starter macrumors regular

I just edited out the names and the guys name.

6. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Isn't it weird how the word "saw" is moved way over? Names left out to protect the guilty? Or fun with Photoshop?

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Ah, you could have used Preview for that though.

And again, brain fart on my side, you seem to use Windows, thus no Preview.

8. poloponies macrumors 68030

9. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

I find it ironic that in the same generation we develop ubiquitous photographic proof, we also develop the means to easily falsify those images.

(not saying anything about the above SMS, it's impossible to say if it's true or not, even if the screenshot is genuine.)

10. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

We know there is an update coming... Not so sure they would leave out R&D/New/Prototype material even under glass when a guy is changing locks, sounds a little sketchy.

11. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

So now only macs can open images to edit them under a preview? Windows comes with image viewer which allows you to edit images without needing photoshop.

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Did he say that?

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The application is called "Preview", and it is for Mac OS X only. I realised while writing my reply (that Preview could have done that), that the the OP was using PS CS5 for Windows, thus no Preview. It was not a slight at Windows and any of its abilities or disabilities.

Thanks for showing your maturity though, for calling me sir. ;)

14. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I guess the iPad could be thinner sorta like the thickness of the iPhone 4... Well have to see.

But... TTIWWP. ;)

15. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

No way is a 2nd generation iPad going to be 7 inches. That makes zero sense. And is total BS. No offense but some of you are gullible.

16. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

Agreed. No way for them changing it to 7". Why not just using a iPhone. It'd be annoying to type on a smaller screen.

17. Megadooomer macrumors newbie

Megadooomer

Well the size debate's gone on ad naseum. I hope this is the first proof of a 7" model. As has already been said over and over, the resolution would be the same, and the 7" could allow enough manuverability for an HDR camera, especially if the thickness does indeed match the iPhone4, and it would follow Apple's pattern of keeping price-points but adding value on subequent generations. Infact, the exclusion of such a camera would be somewhat confusing if it adopted the same exterior design. I suspect Apple may release something to kill off those smaller Android tablets and the rumored Pré XL/Meego/Berrypad whatever. Then again, I've never even seen an Android tablet, or certainly any of those other tablets in person, so who knows. The exclusion of a camera would be why I might go with Meego if there's not a substantially improved (value and academic-wise...here's looking at you Full Google Docs/Office 2011 Portable!) iPad by May.

18. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Id rather see a 4" iPhone and Touch and larger iPad :D

19. aprofetto8 macrumors regular

Yes. How believable. Apple, the company notoriously known for its tight security of future products, possible the tightest in the world (thats what she said), let your brother's friend install a security door while this thing sat in a glass case for him to see?

Apple Employee: Okay, so if you can install the door here, that would be great, we need to beef up our security a bit.

Brother's Friend: Ya, no problem.

Apple Employee: Okay great. OH! And over here, see there, behind the glass case? Ya, thats the 2nd gen iPad, nobody knows about it yet, and its a tight kept secret, Jobs himself would kill me if I let someone look at it, so just try to ignore it okay?

20. poloponies macrumors 68030

This is proof??? Then I have proof to the contrary: my dead grandmother just came to me in a vision and said there's no way Apple's coming out with a 7" iPad.

21. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

the 9.7" screen of the iPad has over 90% more area than a 7" with the same 4:3 ratio, and nearly 150% more area than a 7" 16:9 screen. That's a big reduction in available screen real-estate to move to a 7" screen and would make some of the existing apps awkward to use at the same resolution.
    I'm sure Apple didn't just pluck 9.7" as a screen size out of thin air: They had very good reasons for going with that size and those good reasons are still applicable even if there are lots of 7" tablets on the market!

22. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

:D:D:D:D

I support this message LOL

23. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

24. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

I sure hope they do come out with a 7 inch model. the Ipad is great but another more portable size would round out the screen size range nicely:

Iphone: 3.5 inch
    Ipad 2: 7 inch
    Ipad 1: 9.7 inch

After that, if you want bigger, Mac Book Air and so on. I dont see a problem with this range.

25. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

Is it reasonable to think, based on all of these rumors, that the second gen iPad will ONLY be 7", and that a new version of the 9.7" won't be released? That would be a mistake in my opinion.