2nd Gen iPod Touch Water Damage

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by w00t951, Dec 11, 2009.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

i have a 2nd Gen iPod Touch (jailbroken, in case that makes a difference) and I dropped it in a swimming pool. I didn't notice until we were playing airsoft (yes, in the pool) and I dived down to avoid some BBs. I noticed my shiny iPod sitting at the bottom of the pool, and I retrieved it, then set it in the sun. After a while, I turned it on and it resumed from sleep like nothing had happened. Will there be any permanent damage from a dip in a chlorine-filled pool?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Maybe not if you had performed the rice trick as well. I would think there is still some water inside, which could be enough to damage it.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

How long is a while? I presume you damaged it more when you turned it on.

Edit: -aggie- beat me to it.

4. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

Umm.... About 6 hours. I left it in the blazing sun for about that much time. And when I turned it on, there wasn't any screen flash or anything, it just resumed normally from lock mode.

5. AppleLover9o macrumors regular

Like... 2 years ago, I had a 1g and I dropped it in the toilet and just let it sit upside down(because the board is on the bottom). It turned on and worked fine, but wifi didn't work(wifi boar is at the top, where I made the water drain too) but after 2-3 weeks, wifi worked fine :)

Everything was fine after a few weeks. I was initially happy I had gotten basic functions back out of my 2 month old iPod, but then everything worked :)

SUCCESS!

P.s. what happened to "Duff Man"? I never see him anymore.. Did he go overboard and get banned?

6. Skyhigh223 macrumors regular

haha, it still works! That's amazing lol.

To be safe, put it in a container with some rice somewhere in your house. The rice is very absorbent and will help dry your iPod out. Leave it alone for about a week. Don't turn it on.

Don't try and put it somewhere hot or in the sun to speed up the drying, this will probably just damage your iPod. Putting it somewhere with some air-flow would probably be a good idea, but don't worry about it too much.

The fact that it worked fine after you got it out of the pool is a good sign, but I would follow this plan just to be safe.

Good luck! ;)

7. Jani-Appleseed macrumors member

Great to hear everything is working , but out of curiosity ; is the water 'sensor' tripped ? If you don't know what I'm talking about its in the bottom of the earphone port - if you get a flashlight and see if its white or pink

white - still got warranty

pink - warranty void