2nd Gen Time Capsule Switching Off!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Barney63, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I have a second generation TimeCapsule (A1302) that I have upgraded from 2TB to 3TB.
    The original HDD was a Western Digital WD20EADS, I have replaced it with a Western Digital WD30EURX. The specs for the 3TB show it as slightly lower in power requirements.
    I got the TC second hand and didn't test it out before I changed HDD's so I do not know if there is a link.
    It seems to work for 2 - 2 1/2 days and then goes off, no indicator light at all.
    It does get rather warm. Is this a sign of overheating or possible psu failure?
    Any info would be gratefully received.

Barney

2. Barney63 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Am I right with what I have read?
    If you have Apple Care on your MacBook it covers the TimeCapsule no matter how old it is!

Barney

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It covers any AirPort Base Station purchased up to 2 years before or during the AppleCare Agreement period.

4. Barney63 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Is it switching off a sign off the PSU being on it's way out?
    I have replaced the capacitors although the old ones showed no signs of "ballooning".

Barney

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Warm is fine. Is it alway 2.5 days until it dies out? Does unplugging and replugging fix it always?

What firmware is it running? Try going to 7.6.1 firmware for testing purposes.

6. Barney63 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Barney63

It seems to be pretty much 2-2.5 days under the normal Time Machine regime.
    When I have been copying large amounts of media onto the TC it goes off quicker.
    It always comes straight back on when I unplug and plug back in. Most of the time it has been over night when it goes off so is cold when I find it off in the morning, however yesterday afternoon it went off while I was in the room. It was warm to touch but not hot. I unplugged and plugged back in straight away (not leaving any cooling off period) and it is still running 28 hours later.

How do I know what firmware rev I have?

Barney

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Warm is perfectly fine! I have a 5th gen in a boiler room handling 90+ clients and it gets decently warm but never too hot to touch.

Open AirPort Utility and it will show you when you click on the base station. To downgrade simply hold OPT and select the firmware and choose "7.6.1".

8. Barney63 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Barney63

It was on 7.6.4 and I have now downgraded it to 7.6.1
    It is showing 1 alert on it now! Is it because it knows it isn't the latest firmware or have I got a problem?

Barney

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It will show a little warning sign next to the base station in AirPort Utility to show it isn't up to date. As long as the front light is green you are good.

10. Barney63 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Is going back to 7.6.1 likely to resolve the issue?

Barney

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It generally is a more stable release in some configurations. When mine locked up under 7.6.3 or 7.6.4 it would keep the green light on though. If it was a power issue I would be led to believe it would be more random and unplugging and replugging wouldn't fix it.

12. Barney63 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Well it's been on 48 hours unto now and last night I copied 210GB of media to it so that should have stressed it. It's still on so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Barney

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am putting the load of 90+ clients on mine all sucking data which crashes on 7.6.4 and runs great on 7.6.1 go figure. Keep me posted!

14. Barney63 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Barney63

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Just as a note, despite adding new roaming network features in 7.6.3 and 7.6.4, the Time Capsule will still be perfectly fine under 7.6.1 so don't be afraid to leave it there.

16. Barney63 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I don't use the router function of it as my modem/router is 802.11ac
    I have it wired via a Gigabit port on my modem/router.

Barney

17. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Ah I see. 7.6.4 has some issues in certain Bridge Mode configurations. I have yet to track them all down but they aren't there in 7.7.2 on the 6th gen models or in the Expresses.

18. Barney63 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Well it has been running on 7.6.1 for 5 days now and it hasn't switched off yet, so a BIG THANK YOU to Altemose :thumbup:

Barney

19. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No problem, Barney! With my main controller Extreme under 7.6.4, it would stay constant green on the front, but it disappeared as wireless signal (tested with iStumbler) and could not be pinged or seen in AirPort Utility.

Downgrading to 7.6.1 is what I did, and now it is handling the 90+ client network better than ever! It was fine under 7.6.3, but IPv6 had issue then. It was either deal with terrible hangs as 7.6.3 tried to resolve IPv6 or rock solid stability with 7.6.1. I chose 7.6.1.

I hope it continues to work for you. Yours was a bit different since it lost the front light everytime, but I am glad it worked.