2nd Gen Time Capsule Wifi problems!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Buck Turgidson, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Buck Turgidson macrumors newbie

Well, after a couple of years my TimeCapsule is acting a bit off!

It appears that the 2.4g wifi has failed. The 5ghz is still working but unfortunately my iPhone, printer and ipodtouch can't use it.

Anyone got any tips? The unit thinks it's working with everything good on the airport utility summary but no network seen!

I don't really want to buy a new time machine but also don't want to daisy chain another wifi device. I use an ethernet connection from my router to the time machine.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

have you rebooted the time capsule to see if that helps?
    a factory restore might be in order if nothing else works, but i'm not sure how that would affect any data you have on the hard drive, so check that out first.

have you added ANY new electronic equipment? cordless phones, baby monitors, and microwave ovens (although only when cooking) can affect your wifi signal. try unplugging anything new to see if that clears up the problem.

try a new channel, if your neighbors are close, there is a chance that one of them added a network that's interfering.
    if you're on a mac, try out iStumbler, it will let you see all the networks in your area, you want to be as far away in channel number as you can be, if the numbers are closer than 5 channels together, they actually overlap in the spectrum.

3. Buck Turgidson thread starter macrumors newbie

firmware update and it's up and running again. :)