2nd Gen Touch or New $99 iPhone 3G (W/O Plan) (Useless?)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by HappyDude20, Jun 8, 2009.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

After the watching the keynote earlier today i'm wondering whether I want to purchase an iPod Touch or an iPhone.

I wouldn've want to activate the iPhone to AT&T or any phone company, but with the similar prices, am debating both.

On eBay a 1st Gen Touch is about $130. A 2nd Gen for about $160. The iPhone 3G today is now at $99.

The 2nd Gen Touch appeals to me since it has microphone capabilities and therefore would be able to use Skype and make calls when im in a Wifi network.

But I'm wondering if the iPhone is completely useless since it won't be under a phone carrier network. Would I still be able to use Wifi and enjoy the iPhone 3G in the same manner as an iPod Touch with the added bonus of the built in camera and the microphone being built into the phone as opposed to the microphone earbuds for the 2nd Gen Touch?

I'm still debating this but insight on the matter is really appreciated as i'm getting ready to make a purchase super soon.

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

Nobody is going to sell you an iPhone for $99 without a cellular contract. The price without the contract is $499.

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Which obviously is a ridiculous price.

But will the iPhone still work without the contract? Will I be limited aside from connecting via Edge or 3G? Everything else would still work right? Including taking photos, transferring them to iPhone when connected to my mac; apps, wifi...etc..?

4. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

The iPhone would be an iPod Touch with a mic, a GPS chip, and a camera.

5. MySaturdaySelf macrumors member

what would be the price like since the new model enters market? i would like to pay about 150 for an unlocked 3g 8gb but not over that.

6. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Since the GPS chip would be useless I think I wouldn't mind getting the original iPhone...

...As long as i'm not limited in anyway.

I wouldn't want to come into a problem/situation where an iPod Touch would've avoided solely because I was greedy opting for the non activated iPhone as opposed the iPod Touch...

I wouldn't want to run into some kind of phone activation mode everytime I connected to iTunes or something. Or not be allowed to use the device cause its not under a network.

7. Macceptance macrumors newbie

I was under the impression that the iPhone cannot be used at all unless it is active under a line with AT&T (in the US,) can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

8. okwhatev macrumors 6502

You'll have to unlock it using hacker software, but yes... it will work.

9. okwhatev macrumors 6502

No you're right. It's literally a brick unless it's either activated via AT&T or unlocked using hacker software.

10. okwhatev macrumors 6502

If you can actually get a first gen iphone for less then an ipod touch, go for it. Unlocked, the iphone is exactly an ipod touch... you just turn off the cell phone network all together and just use wifi in the system preferences. Plus, then you have the option of using a SIM card in the future to use any number of cell providers and turn it into a full-featured iphone.

11. okwhatev macrumors 6502

however, I didn't realize you said 2nd generation ipod touch. In that case, if you're only using it as an ipod, the second gen ipod touch is far sexier and thinner then any iphone released so far. If it was between a 1st gen iphone and 2nd gen ipod touch for just the usage of the ipod, I'd go with the 2nd gen ipod touch.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Found an Apple support article on how to use an original iPhone as an iPod touch. I would think the same method would also work for an iPhone 3G.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3406

13. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Well, the 2nd Gen does appeal to me, as does the iPhone (w/o the network).

Between both the only differences seem to be that the Touch requires the Apple earphones with the microphone and the iPhone contains microphone in the phone. Finally the iPhone contains the camera which obviously the touch doesn't. Not the biggest deal in the world, but something i'd consider.

If I can find the iPhone for the same price online then i'll get it....

But all this talk of hacker software i'm just hoping that all the apps I've already purchased that are in my Apps section in iTunes will still work and be regularly updated, etc.