2nd gen touch - sudden battery drain issue when idle

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by farmerjoe01, Apr 12, 2009.

1. farmerjoe01 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I've had my 2nd gen touch since sept '08. Never had battery issues until last week. Now whenever my touch sits for more than a few hours when I go to turn it on the battery has less than 20% charge. Quite often it has also turned itself off. I will perform a reset and when it comes back on the battery indicator is 'red'.

Yesterday I was playing the touch in the car which has a cable that charges the touch while it's playing so I know the charge was full when I got home and it sat un sleep for no more than 12 hours overnight. I just found it this morning on its last legs...

Anyone else with this issue?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

When the iPod goes to sleep, is the wi-fi still on, location services enabled? Also consider environmental factors like temperature, etc. which may cause the battery to discharge quicker. If things don't add up, consider the Apple battery replacement service if you're within warranty or AppleCare.

3. avrpatsfan macrumors member

Wifi automatically turns off after it is slept to save battery. Take it to an apple store and get it replaced. It shouldn't do that no matter how old. I got mine on the first day they came out (Go 1.0!) and I sold it a little while back and it still worked perfectly. Good luck!:)

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Pretty sure Wi-Fi remains enabled while in sleep, mine still retrieves new messages when its in sleep...

5. kh14 macrumors member

One reason may be that your "Fetch New Data" function is set to retreive data every 15 minutes which turns the wifi on alot to basicly check for new emails. Also if your ipod is jail broken it might have something to do with that. Some jailbreaking software enables backgroud processes which waste the battery.

6. farmerjoe01 thread starter macrumors newbie

WiFi and Location services are both OFF.

The battery discharges normally while playing media, but only after it goes into sleep mode does it go into super drain... no idea why. It used to sleep just fine. I feel like I may have upgraded firmware recently but am performing a restore on the device so can't check itunes to see if there are logs for that

7. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

I have a 1G and a 2G and neither do that. I could be wrong but I think you are mistaken.