2nd Generation iPhone coming July 2008??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pederg, Feb 27, 2008.

1. pederg macrumors member

I assume that when they say third-gen they mean 2nd generation but w/ 3G.. Further evidence of the 3G iPhone is that Swisscom said they wouldn't release an iPhone w/ Edge but there are now rumors of them announcing it w/in a few days..

Source:
    http://www.iphonegold.org/iphone-in-spain-italy-and-switzerland-article-117.html

2. drb6 macrumors regular

I think its unlikely the President of Telefonica would be allowed to share this information publicly. Stevie would go down there personally to assault him if he did. AT&T's proclamation of a 3G iphone in 2008 are probably as specific as Apple would allow any of their partners to get.

The article says the announcement will be made during the the 3GSM fair (no clue what this is), which begins Feb 11. Since we're way past that date.......did he make the announcement?

3. skittlez macrumors member

4. eBay macrumors member

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

That conference has come and gone
    See http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=438408 for the best guess. July is a bit late afaik. It also gets the SDK date wrong. The rest even I could have made up.
    The OP is right on one thing though - Areas that are getting iPhones, but only have 3G networks are a key indicator of when a 3G iPhone is coming out.
    Spain, Japan are the two ones at the moment I know of.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Patiently awaiting the iPhone here in Japan.

I want to see what the plans cost. I am hearing rumors that they may be a bit expensive. If too expensive, I will forgo the iPhone and just upgrade my current cell phone and probably get a 32GB Touch.

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

But a 3G iPhone is a lot more versatile if the 3G connection works when jailbroken :) The cost of the 3G chip isn't great, and Apple will benefit from cost reductions from using a System on a Chip SoC or similar chip, so any cost of the 3G parts will be negated. The crux comes down to how to work out how AT&T, 02 Telefonica etc and Apple sell a 3G phone and plan that could download and upload a *lot* of data on it's network. It's all you can eat (/200Mb) works on EDGE, but might not fair so well on 3G.

8. rayward macrumors 65816

If it involves a 3G phone, we'd know about it because we'd have seen the FCC application already. And we haven't. Until we do, the 3G iPhone is a little ways off.

9. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Do you need FCC approval for release in Spain and Japan?

10. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Good point! Apple could announce a 3G phone someday and immediately start selling it elsewhere? Then start in the USA once the approval goes through. That would allow Apple to not have a gap between announcement and some sales.

11. werkedm3 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I doubt the rest of the world would get the iPhone before us. With its recent release in other parts of the world and AT&T and apple in bed together I doubt we would be left out of the mix

12. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

There was no FCC notice before the iPhone 1 launch. You can also get pre-approved chips for this kind of thing.

However, I still think this is wishful thinking from Telefonica. I still predict November for a Euro launch of a hardware revision that includes 3G. I'd like to be wrong though.

13. rayward macrumors 65816

Why would you release a 3G iPhone in SPain and Japan, and not in the U.S?

14. rayward macrumors 65816

But the "launch" was 6 months ahead of the release. That's because Jobs knew that the surprise would be gone once he made his FCC application.

15. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

It seems that every day a news source or blog source comes out with a new date for the new version of the iPhone

I believed the first few but now it just seems silly to believe one unless it comes from Jobs mouth