2nd generation predictions

Discussion in 'iMac' started by CChevW, Mar 18, 2015.

1. CChevW macrumors newbie

Been drooling over the 5k iMac all year, dreaming of getting one. But the stars should align towards the end of the year and I should be able to get one :D I imagine gen2 will be released in the fall. What is everyone expecting this iteration to improve upon?

:apple:

2. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Quite happy with my 5K as it is now, but I guess CPU and GPU improvements are no brainers and, perhaps, USB-C port. Target display mode won't be here before new displayport that comes with Skylake, so not this year.

One thing I'd love to see (but don't expect) are new Force Touch trackpads for iMacs!

3. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

I think we'll see a Broadwell upgrade sometime in the fall with the faster SSD, force trackpad, and GPU upgrade as well. Skylake will be pushed into 2016. We might see a USB C port as well. Apple tends to do things incrementally and Intel is consistently behind.

4. jordanz macrumors member

jordanz

Faster? What's the (pure, not fusion) SSD in there atm?

5. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

• Hopefully ditching of AMD Gpu's and adoption of something a bit more suitable for an enclosed all in one like an NVidia 980M...

• Also 1TB Flash memory as standard and for the same cost as current fusion drives plus an option to have an extra 3TB internal configured into a separate fusion drive (for when the flash gives up the ghost and needs replacing)

• 16GB RAM as standard (do a deal with Crucial for Pete's sake)

• and of course 27" 5k retina as standard

• Call it the iMac Pro, make it gun-metal grey and be done with it...;)

• As a future roadmap having the display a touchscreen with a modified mount so that the screen can be angled at 25º would be the icing on the cake.

one can dream. :)

6. OurDarkness macrumors member

OurDarkness

I'd love to see that, too. I am not sure however if Apple and AMD have agreed on something for only a year. Is this likely?

Agree.

Agree.

-----------------

Additionally, I would like to see:

1. The new Intel Processors.
    2. The riMac bing a fully optimized computer as regards speed and heat.
    3. Not a new OS but a bug-free Yosemite.

Space grey? Hmmm yeah, why not!

7. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Yes, to the next OSX being bug free. Other than that I would think that next iteration will be just a CPU/GPU bump up. The next big iMac announcement I think will be the 4/5K 21.5".

8. andy9l macrumors 68000

I'm expecting a new physical design, with a cooling system sufficient for the components inside...

Fingers crossed.

9. Serban Suspended

i hope for 6 cores with 16gb ram standard and 512 SSD also standard

10. desantii macrumors 6502

desantii