2nd genration MBA ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Heather1, May 7, 2009.

  1. Heather1 macrumors regular

    Heather1

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2008
    Location:
    California
    #1
    After many years being a loyal PC customer, I've finally decided to switch to a mac. My first and only option right now is the MBA for its mouth-watering "thinnovation". So, i'm about to go straight to Apple some time this week to donate $1,799. It's a lot of $ to me so before i go, i need to check with you geniuses about the possibilities a new MBA will be introduced soon.

    As far as my knowledge goes, the current MBA is called the rev B. And i saw you guys talking about the rev C, is it the up coming MBA you guys are talking about? Is there any possibilities that Apple will introduce a new MBA generation this coming September like they usually do with the mac and ipod lines ?

    I know no one knows for sure what will happen, but since you guys are all more familiar with how Apple rolls than me, i'll very appreciate any guess, predict, estimate...anything will do. So please, give me some glues...

    Thanks.
    HH.
     
  2. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

    Veinticinco

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2009
    Location:
    Europe
    #3
    It's all but certain the refresh (rev.C) will arrive this summer at some point - maybe June but definitely by September. It won't be a 'next generation' though, that's also a given.

    Question is whether to wait. Ordinarily I'd say yes. But it depends if you're able to, or even want to. Some of us are fortunate to have other Apple hardware to see us through the cold turkey period.

    If you don't NEED to buy your MBA right now, then I'd say hold off. But if you sort of do need to have something sorted asap then I say go for it, and don't worry about the rev.C, which despite musings here (of which I'm guilty too!), is far more likely to just be 'under the hood' improvements - a CPU speed bump and increased storage etc. rather than a redesign.

    You could always go for a refurb (i.e. a return) rev.B now at $1549, or better stretch to the SSD at just over $2k., and you'd have a fantastic 'as new' MBA with full warranty for a very good price.
     
  3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    Location:
    Britain
    #4
    The new processors for the Macbook Air and other sub notebooks have been released by Intel. We just have to wait for Apple to use them. The current gen has been on the market since October, so we should see an update soon.
     
  4. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #5
    I think it possibly could be a "next generation" MacBook Air. Dell released the Adamo which is thinner than the MBA when considering the MBA's thickest part. I fear that Apple would want the title of thinnest notebook computer.

    It is possible that the rev C MBA would use the same form factor and just have updated components. The natural evolution would be to use the new Intel SL9600 2.13 GHz CPU, 4 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, glass trackpad, and black bezel. Also, maybe most important reason to wait would be a better battery using the same technology used in the 17" MBP.

    Some think the new MBA will have an OLED display, which could be amazing and use less power while being more environmentally friendly.

    Some think the new MBA will be made from a carbon fiber shell which will reduce its weight further.

    Some have other thoughts. I think that if we see an update as suggested before the WWDC in June, it will be the same form factor of MBA with updated components. If there is no MBA update in June, the next MBA may be thinner and lighter. However, it seems that Apple is developing a tablet type iPhone device to be used like netbooks. That theory makes the MBA seem like it should remain the premium true notebook and not get any thinner or weight less.

    You may be really pleased if you wait until the first week of June. Or, it may just disappoint you if the MBA is not released then. The MBA is six months old right now. Apple has updated its Mac notebooks on about a six month schedule for the last three years, so an update seems probable. Figure that right now, you would be paying the exact same price you could have bought the MBA for six months ago. You are buying six month old technology for full price. The best time to buy a Mac is the day of release, or as close to it as possible after the release day. People who wait until a Mac is six months old and purchase are usually disappointed when a much better product is released a few days or weeks later with far superior specs and technology.

    I would wait. In fact, my rev B MBA was stolen three weeks ago. I have decided to wait for an update before paying $2499 for a six month old outdated MBA. If Apple would reduce the price, it may make sense, but not at full price. I replaced the stolen MBA with a cheap unibody MB off Craig's List. I can use it until the new MBA is released, and then I can sell the MB for about what I paid for it.
     
  5. hohohong macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2007
    #6
    If you don't mind me asking,... how cheap did u get ur uMB for? Was it used or sealed?
     
  6. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

    Veinticinco

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2009
    Location:
    Europe
    #7
    Swings and roundabouts my friend - a very fair assessment but you're not making the OP's decision any easier! Regardless of my own thoughts, I'll still be amazed if Apple do something other than a simple refresh with the MBA this summer - which is after all the timeline she has stated for purchase.

    She's a PC user, likely doesn't have anything to 'tide her over' and furthermore cost is an issue - one thing we can absolutely guarantee is that there'll be no pricing adjustment. Yes, she may be getting '6-month-old' technology, but it'll be light years ahead of what she's currently using, and for 1500 of your funny Monopoly money, get a lot of bang for her refurb buck.

    OLED is probably just wishful thinking, even if I say so myself :D and carbon fibre is still way off - they are only just at the lab and patent stages right now trying to fix the composite appearance issues.
     
  7. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #8
    $900 used for five months. With some extras like AppleCare and software. It is the unibody 2.0 GHz with upgraded 4 GB RAM and 250 GB HDD.
     
  8. hohohong macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2007
    #9
    Wow,... that's really good with the upgraded RAM. Mine's just stock 2.0 uMB. How much do you think mine will worth say Feb 2010?

    Reason why i said Feb 2010 is coz I think the next probable date for rev D or maybe a new redesign as that's the 2nd year anniversary of MBA (Jan 2008).

    I might skip this coming up rev and wait for the next one.

    Most probable in Feb 2010 upgrade includes the following:

    USB 3.0
    Bluetooth 3.0
    3G
    OLED

    If I can get $800 for my 2.0 uMB in Feb 2010,.... I'll be happy.
     
  9. enfanteribl macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2009
    #10
    In terms of a possible 'Rev C', the idea that the glass trackpad might appear is unlikely due to the depth it would require, I am told. Unless Apple redesigns the Air's case, which seems unlikely, then the current trackpad would probably stay.

    CPU bumps, and maybe more RAM seem quite probable though
     
  10. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #11
    I think unibody MBs will bring $900 now and $900 a year from now. MBs just hold their value really well. I see two year old plastic MBs for $800 even though can buy a new Nvidia model refurbished for $849. $900 $900 $900. That is what I paid for mine, and I expect to get a little more since it does have AppleCare and will be warrantied for over two years past when I sell it. Assuming Apple introduces the MacBook Air within six months - God, I hope so!

    Those seem like good reasons to wait for a rev D. But who knows, maybe the rev C will be put off and will include all of that. From recent talks, 3G, OLED could make the rev C MBA, especially if put off awhile.
     

Share This Page