Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pinnoks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
So here is the predicament. I have tried to hold off as long as i could to get the ipad and wait for the ipad2, but i have now realised the longer i hold off, the worse off i will be. So i'm pretty much going to buy one now. The question i have for you is how much everyone would expect the price of second hand ipads to drop once the new one is announced? Thanks,
Jake.

Josh Kahane

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006
Suffolk, UK
I reckon, that after they announce the 2nd generation iPad there will be a minor price drop in second hand 1st gens, however only once we hear the price will they have a really missive drop, perhaps as much as £100.

This is nothing to go by, just my guess.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
It's not beyond possibility that Apple could do a price increase for the new model.

If they are selling more than they can make and they can't see any competition at their price point they could hike the price.

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
I would be surpised if the value didn't fall by at least $100. Your best bet would be to bug a refurbished one from Apple or an inexpensive second hand one. You're still going to face a loss when you resell it but hopefully not a steep one.

GT-R

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2010
im hoping to score cheap ipad 1st gens when the 2nd gen comes out

i already own a mba and ip4, so i dont need to get the newest and greatest ipad available...

Zelnaga

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm gonna wait. See what the iPad 2 has to offer and even if it isn't a big improvement. The price of 1st gen iPad will drop compared to what it is now. So win/win situation.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
It's not beyond possibility that Apple could do a price increase for the new model.

If they are selling more than they can make and they can't see any competition at their price point they could hike the price.
Then Apple would not only be known as an arrogant company, but also blind and stupid.

No competition?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yes, its beyond the possibility as that would be an extremely poor business decision. One thing is for sure, raising prices impacts sales negatively

There is competition, and the competition is growing. Once honeycomb based tablets start hitting the market, you'll be seeing apple's market share shrink.

Just cross reference the iPhone's marketshare vs. androids.

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
So here is the predicament. I have tried to hold off as long as i could to get the ipad and wait for the ipad2, but i have now realised the longer i hold off, the worse off i will be. So i'm pretty much going to buy one now. The question i have for you is how much everyone would expect the price of second hand ipads to drop once the new one is announced? Thanks,
Jake.
The worse off you will be? Blimey, the melodramatics around here are incredible. Just wait, it's a piece of hardware that you don't really need, just want.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Well they did raise the price of the Mac Mini didn't they?

For the record, I think they would be stupid to increase the price at this moment in time, even though I think they could actually get away with a small price hike.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Wait... folks. There is no reason to bash piggie. While I hope apple doesn't raise the price, it is very possible that they might since all of you are asking..

1. Retina display
2. 1GB ram
3. 128GB storage
4. more than 1 megapixel camera.

Look at xoom, it costs 799 dollars. Why isn't HP, Samsung, and LG talking about their prices? Yea, because they will be priced high.

15 MBP price has been going from 1599 dollars to 1699 dollars. The price has been changed before. Same thing goes for mac mini.

Price increase could very well happen. iPad is still in first generation and we don't know what is going to happen.

Increasing the price is not always a stupid business decision. Wrong. It is right decision depends on the situation.

Stop asking for so high specs on iPad, and maybe you will see 499 dollars price again.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well they did raise the price of the Mac Mini didn't they?
And that price increase cause mini sales to up or down? I heard a lot of grumbling when they did raise that price and you can infer that it did impact sales negatively.

There's also a difference between raising the price to continue to make the product profitable and gouging the consumer. Apple raising the price of the iPad would fall into the second category. The mini is a mature product that went though a major update. The iPad is a young product and its not expected to receive a major update for version 2.

ctyhntr

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
@Pinnoks,

This is only a question you can answer for yourself. What is a price that you will pay for an iPad. Subtract that from the current price. Take the difference and divided over the time span, that is your cost value.

Don't forget to factor in Apple's plan obsolescence, for the effective life of your iPad. iPhone 3G, which are 2 1/2 years old have barely enough CPU power to run the current iOS, and rumoured to be phased on on iOS 5.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
@Pinnoks,

This is only a question you can answer for yourself. What is a price that you will pay for an iPad. Subtract that from the current price. Take the difference and divided over the time span, that is your cost value.

Don't forget to factor in Apple's plan obsolescence, for the effective life of your iPad. iPhone 3G, which are 2 1/2 years old have barely enough CPU power to run the current iOS, and rumoured to be phased on on iOS 5.

Heavens! A smartphone from 2008 may not be able to run 2011's OS? Is this an upgrade feature 2008 buyers were expecting?

Rather than looking at "planned obsolescence" why don't you consider that it's pretty damn difficult to anticipate the hardware features that will be affordable in 3 years. Designing today to anticipate 2014 is pretty pointless. 2014 purchasers will want current features and optimal functionality - not much sense in compromising their needs to make today's buyers happy.

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Stop asking for so high specs on iPad, and maybe you will see 499 dollars price again.
So high specs? My daughters laptop cost half that, and less the touch screen has way more power and functionailty than the Xoom... It's not about specs, it's about what they can get away with charging people.

Pinnoks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
The worse off you will be? Blimey, the melodramatics around here are incredible. Just wait, it's a piece of hardware that you don't really need, just want.

Not really, as i have just started year 12, and am wanting to switch as much over from note books to electronic format as i possibly can. The sooner i do this, the less i will have to re-type up.

herdnerfer

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Saint louis, MO
Get a refurb

If you have to get one now, get a refurb from apple. They are 70-100 bucks cheaper (non-3G), come with a new battery & outer shell, and have the same 1 year warranty as new. I just got one and it is awesome(16gb) & still cheaper than a used one on eBay....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.