2nd Hand Macbook Air Rev A - Buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by windstarfy, Sep 12, 2009.

1. windstarfy macrumors member

windstarfy

Hi guys,

After using my MBP Unibody for a few months now I've decided the family needs a new laptop upgrade (mainly the MBP passed on and me getting a more portable computer - call my lazy but the MBP is kind of heavy).

I'm going to be picking up a second hand Macbook Air (Rev A Intel X3100) for ~700USD that was bought last October (near the Rev B refresh I assume).

Firstly, is this a good deal?

The first thing I am going to be doing is buying Applecare for the machine so I get 2 years extended warranty, then giving a fresh install of Snow Leopard

I've been reading around and there have been many complaints on the Rev A model especially where it is fast for 'two minutes' and then slows down with the infamous 'core shutdown'.

I'd like to ask if it is really what happens if you get a Rev A, because I am a little worried. I am intending to use the computer for normal web browsing, MSN, and watching videos/movies (a few 1080p music videos etc) with little to no gaming (leave it to the MBP or desktop), would the Rev A handle it? Or is it a matter of how lucky I am? $700 is pretty cheap so I am wanting to give it a try and if it doesn't work to expectations sell it to someone else who is not tech savvy (or at least doesn't come on here :p) - would this be a good idea?

Cheers!

Edit: I'll probably be using Fusion or Parallels (depending on whichever is better on the MBA) occasionally too. Is this something I should dream about?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah Rev A MB Air? Nope. I'd look for a used Rev B before anything.
    .... weird, I am selling one. ;)

3. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

4. windstarfy thread starter macrumors member

windstarfy

Thanks for the replies.

Is $700 a good deal though? I'd like to use it as an expensive netbook for a while and then sell it at the same price after I've had a chance to play around with it.

For the replies, are they aimed at using Fusion/Parallels or browsing/watching videos?

5. reptiledude4 macrumors member

reptiledude4

Don't give it a second thought. Rev A is horrible. Period. Invest in a 1.6 Rev B, they're going for $900-1000 on eBay now, or $1100 refurbished on Apple.