Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
I'm looking to buy a few used macs. Preferably mac pro's 2.66 - I've budgeted about £1000 per mac, but the last one to go on ebay went for less than £600.

So far, all I can find is cancom and they sell the 2.66 for the same price as the 1x2.8, despite the fact that the spec is worse in every respect, and the computer's 18 months older.

Anyways, it seems the marketplace here is going through a transition period and never hosted that many uk sales anyways. Otherwise, my googling hasn't unearthed any second hand mac sellers or uk forums that host 2nd hand mac sales. Ebay only seems to have the new models.

Any ideas?

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Don't go to cancom they are a total rip off. I would suggest either the apple UK refurb store or cex.co.uk they have sporadic stock but offer a 1 year guarantee on all products and are fairly competitive with 2nd hand pricing.

ShadoW

phalewhale

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
I'm looking to buy a few used macs. Preferably mac pro's 2.66 - I've budgeted about £1000 per mac, but the last one to go on ebay went for less than £600.

So far, all I can find is cancom and they sell the 2.66 for the same price as the 1x2.8, despite the fact that the spec is worse in every respect, and the computer's 18 months older.

Anyways, it seems the marketplace here is going through a transition period and never hosted that many uk sales anyways. Otherwise, my googling hasn't unearthed any second hand mac sellers or uk forums that host 2nd hand mac sales. Ebay only seems to have the new models.

Any ideas?

Don't go to cancom they are a total rip off. I would suggest either the apple UK refurb store or cex.co.uk they have sporadic stock but offer a 1 year guarantee on all products and are fairly competitive with 2nd hand pricing.

ShadoW

I think eBay is your best bet for bargains. Look for machines that still have AppleCare for extra re-assurance.

Cex looks like a TOTAL rip-off! I mean - the front page had a second hand Nintendo DS Lite for sale at £95!!! Hardly a bargain. They are only £99 NEW!!!! Game even sell used ones for £85! I didn't look in depth but I hate the idea of trading stuff in to places like that when I can get much more if I sell on eBay. For instance, they'd buy my MBP off me for £595 and sell it on for just under a grand! Erm, no thanks!

Also since when did Apple ever sell a 15" 1.5GHz iBook G4? That's going for £550????

If eBay aint your bag, try craigslist or your local admags for bargains.

EDIT: Oh, and if you want to get a general idea of how much a used mac will cost you, try http://www.mac2sell.net/. Someone on here recommended it to me.

nickane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
Cheers guys.

All good answers. I'd tried gumtree on occasion but forgotten craigslist. Ebay is definitely the best bet, but most 2.66's will have been sold back in jan by upgraders. I imagine there'll be tons more when nehalem drops, but i need them sooner.

Thanks again for your help, you've given me a lot more bookmarks to hit up daily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.